PTSD?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Curious if i may have PTSD. Ive been a firefighter/paramedic for 7 years. Ive seen all kinds of terrible things. I have never felt bothered by any of it until recently. Within the last year I have had trouble sleeping at night, I've been far less active, I have thought about suicide 2 times very briefly over the year. Additionally, on occasion I find myself become very anxious on calls for no reason. I will have trouble focusing and feel my heart rate increase. I try and slow my breathing and coach myself out of it. I only experience this at certain times and it is rare but has been increasing. I am wondering if I am suffering from PTSD? I do have 1 call that sticks in my mind that I think about on occasion that was gruesome in nature. My wife has noticed differences in my mood and how I act. What are your thoughts?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi ,in your line of work anyone can become stressed and depressed from things they witness , however you say it has recently become an issue . Have you spoke to the doctor about this ? , you also mentioned when you get calls you get anxious . have you thought about change of jobs ? It is understandable as you get older the scene is getting to you mentally . Do you have vacation time ? Take a break from it if you can ,see how you calm you can get . The answer just may be switching jobs

• Posted

I once asked who looks after the mental health of all our brave "Hero's" who are with all our rescue personnel on land & sea, you being one, I was told they have people they can talk to. But that not everyone like to put their hand up to look for the help they can give. PLEASE do not be one of those, not easy I know but it can help oh so much. With regards to suicide, have you not over the years seen the ripple effect this has on any family, a very permanent solution to a passing problem. Which is better to ask for help or cause a lifetime of pain/guilt for all who loves you. I tried changing jobs, but my "buddy" anxiety joined me!!! Might work for some but not me, Also sit down with your wife and tell her all you have put here & it takes a load off you by sharing, I know.

When

I put my hand up and said I needed help & spoke to family, friends & work colleagues and spoke about anxiety etc., I was amazed, everyone has either experienced it themselves or knew someone who does

So as I was told by a friend "you are not so special Jean thousands of people have it, some know they have it, some do not, BUT what DOES make you special is, you looked for help"

Remember - its OK not to feel OK whats not OK is to not seek help

Take care

• Posted

Absolutely, positively! PTSD is more common than some folks think, (in many occupations) but particularly in 1st responders!

my adult daughter was a firefighter for 2yrs. one day, while attaching a hose to a fire hydrant, she froze and went into a full on panic attack! It came outta nowhere and had never happened before. long story short, she had to leave the department which almost destroyed her!

at about that same time, her boyfriend, (who was a fire captain) got sent to NY on 9/11.....it took him months to grapple with all of that. he still has nightmares about it!

I'm only surprised this doesn't happen more frequently to more people!

if taking a leave, or a vacation isn't an option....you may have some decisions to make.

but don't get ahead of yourself. first, try talking to a therapist. it really can be quite helpful.

good luck to you, and thank you for you're service!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.