Pull yourself together-ggggrrrrr !!

Posted , 8 users are following.


I saw my physiciatrist on Tuesday, only second time we have met..

I suffer with depression, anxiety and ptsd. All fought on by a breakdown after my disabling accident 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, it also brought back deeply buried memories of mental and physical abuse by my parents, and being raped my a male relation when I was 9 years old.

All got on top of me.

Anyway, because I was having memory problems I was refered to him. He arranged a ct scan and all is okay. Now,, according to him I should get over it, it happned decades ago, what's done is done and I should lose some weight , stop looking so old (I just had a patient of 73 in here,he said, you are 66, and he looked 10 years younger than you)

I have heard of reverse physiciatrist, just never received it before.


1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi Mike,

    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have had some dreadful experiences at the hands of psychiatrists. And it sounds like you have just just experience the same, along with insults to you personally.

    I think you have seen the wrong type of professional. You need to be seeing a psychologist to confront your deep rooted issues. A psychiatrist will not do this for you. They will just prescribe medication to help with the symptoms.

    Cognitive therapy is another road to pursue, but please prepare yourself for some really deep psychological therapy. Preferably take along a friend etc to assist you after these type of sessions.

    What has happened in your past needs to be dealt with now in the present, other wise you are going to have years of symptoms because of blocking them out.

    At such a young age your mind would of defended itself naturally at such terrible abuse. These memories would be suppressed and in some case will not be remembered at all. Thank s abuse of s the seed to your current problems in life.

    There are two forms of treatment.

    1. ( issued by limp wristed psychiatrists ). Is a life long road of antidepressants , that will ease your pain, by t in the long term it will not treat the cause of your troubles.

    2. ( By a psychologist), who will slowly reveal the source of troubles, ( in your case Mike it is child abuse ). Support you during and after treatment. Help you adapt to dealing with the abuse in the present time.

    I really hope you find some restbite Mike. Personally I am if the opinion that psychiatrists are a waste of tax payers money.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Cannicky,

    Thank you for your reply.

    I had 19 sessions of cbt.

    Trouble is when I went to see consultant about therapy she told me I had many issues but could only deal with one at a time, and she could give me 10 sessions.

    We decided my mood swings were the best to sort out as they affect me most on a day to day basis.

    Anyway after 19 sessions on mood therapy, that was it.

    Ii count my blessings because apart from a clear brain ct scan result on Tuesday I was told yesterday,Friday, that a suspicious mole was not the return of malignant melanoma which was diagnosed in March this year.

    Always look on the bright side of life.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Wow this psychiatrist sounds a bit nuts and with my experience maybe wrong.

    Who is he to say you'll get over it! some things you don't ever get over and his job is to help you with that not tell you your wrong.

    What an awful thing to happen to you as a child, you should have counselling for this or talk to someone about it regardless of your age. Just remember none of this was your fault.

    I would ask to speak with a different psychiatrist or counsellor, you want to get better not worse.



    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Personally all sounds a bit off, 

    Are you seeing this chap again ?

    Sometimes this can happen and it has happened to a lesser extent to me, even though they have found I have a conjenital Short Term Memory Disorder caused by medication and childhood. I also suffer from a Chronic Disability that prevents me living my life to the full.

    All I will advise is to tell your GP what has happened, Are you seeing this person again or have they referred you to a CPN for CBT


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Mike,

    I am also a PTSD sufferer and feel that the condition is really easy to understand but

    tricky to cure.

    Any Psychiatrist who says it was decades ago needs to go back to school.

    When you suffer a trauma it cannot be properly memorised in your brain ,  so it stays hanging around in the wrong part of the brain causing misery and usually depression.

    One type of therapy which deals with this problem head on is EMDR.

    Some nhs psychotherapists will provide this treatment , so why no check it out.



    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi mike - sorry to read on the insensitivity you have experienced. First, get another doctor. Second, the issues that have surfaced need to be adressed not dismissed. An advocacy for survivors of child abuse will be able to help you - I don't know what country you are in but here (Australia) it's called ASCA (Advocates for Survivors of Childhood Abuse.) That "doctor" had no right to compare you to anyone else, least of all to belittle you in doing it. Best of luck to you - and good on you for dealing with these issues in this life.  

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi All,

    Thanks for your kind words of support, very welcome.

    It's easy for someone to say, oh get over it as it was a long time ago, but as has now surfaced with the football coach abuse these things don't go away.

    It changed my life forever, at 9 years of age I started sleeping with a knife under my pillow, I was, am, distrustful of people and struggled to form a relationship, my aunties and uncles thought I was unhinged because I started talking to myself.

    I found imaginary friends easier to get on with.


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up