pulse/ox machine for shortness of breath

Posted , 4 users are following.

after reading a post on this forum about a lady who was experiencing similar symptoms as I am with shortness of breath I bought a small pulse and oxygen reader that fits on your finger in hopes that I could get somemy oxygen levels. I took it a few times as I was coming out of Walmart it was hot outside and I was pushing a heavy cart and it read 92 I took it again once I was sitting for a few minutes and it shot back up to 98 and that's pretty much where it has stayed. I feel out of breath and like breathing through my nose isn't fulfilling getting enough oxygen into my lungs and so every second or third breath through my noseI am taking a large breath through my mouth. my question is does this oxygen reader tell you how much oxygen is going to your bloodstream or how much oxygen is in your lungs at that certain time because I know there are some problems one of which I do have where I produce too much iron that can cause shortness of breath and so would it show a low oxygen level if it had to do with my iron levels being too high or would it only show a pulmonary reason for oxygen levels to be low? I know this is a strange question I am just trying to get to the bottom of all of this.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is about oxygen absorbtion. I found that I have not been breathing correctly. If only your chest rises and not your diaphragm. Take three deep slow breaths and make sure your tummy rises when you breath in and down when out.

There is a video about that by a Dr tho I don't remember his name now. I found I was using my mouth too much to breath and now that I focus on diaphragm breath through my nose, I feel lots better.

• Posted

I've seen his video..Dr libman I believe.. beyokeo breathing or however you spell it..lol.. I think it has to do with not breathing right either..but how could it have just changed from normal to not in a blink of an eye..one day I'm perfect the next I can't breathe and it's been bad since..
    • Posted

I was fine too and never had an anxiety attack and then bam.

Always good to go to Dr toale sure, but I have found anxiety can do some crazy things

• Posted

I think it's to do with your anxiety.

Buying  pulse/ox is a very bad idea - you'll be checking it obsessively and get into a big panic mode.

I'm a nurse and I can you that as soon as you move the pulse/ox will have to adjust itself  so lots of the readings are inaccurate.

If you've seen your doctor and had tests to rule out heart  problems, then you have severe anxiety syndrome. Please get help from your doctor who will arrange a different type of therapy for you, and prescribe medication which will keep you calmer. This very unpleasant syndrome won't go away overnight, but with therapy and medication you'll eventually get better. Love Tess

• Posted

Totally agree with you Tess

I got rid of my blood pressure machine and I never take my pulse, iF I feel it is too high it throws me into an increase in BP and pulse will go up.

• Posted

Hi Amanda

Yes throw it away it won't help your aniexty

I bought a blood pressure machine worst thing I did was constantly checking my blood pressure and it was high due to using the wrong cuff!! I feel like I have shortness of breath well where I can't get a full breath then I yawn, it's horrible feeling, some YouTube vids show how to belly breathe which is the better way to calm down and train your breathing. Sometimes I think when they say shortness of breath do they mean out of breath like u have been running?

• Posted

It started all of a sudden on vacation after ririding a bike.. then has lasted on and off for about a month..all pulmonary test are normal..x Ray normal.. I have hormone issues but am being treated now for it.. at first it sent me into a panic and I went to the er down in Galveston where we were on vacation.. all normal.. then I went to er at home all was normal..doctor said he thinks it has to do with anxiety..that's how he is treating it anyway.. I thought getting a pulse ox would convince me that it was in my head..seeing my oxygen as normal would help me realize I'm ok.. I know I'm taking deep breaths through my mouth instead of through my nose but it's gotten so out of control that trying to breath through my nose feels like I'm suffocating.. I'm either crazy or something is wrong..lol
    • Posted

Your not crazy honest, it makes u feel like that. When your not concentrating on breathing like talking to friends and stuff do u notice that your breathing is normal? Then when you think about it it starts again, breathing through your mouth can give you to much oxygen which causes shortness of breath crazy right! It's so horrible your not alone. But honest the oxygen thing will make your aniexty worse if you got a low reading just because technology isn't 100% and it could worry u more
    • Posted

You have been so right.. it is all but gone tonight.. I haven't checked it again since we talked but checking it the first several times I felt out if breath and seeing it was normal wawas wake up call.. I was actually able to go outside and play the afternoon away with my baby girl..it has been such a nice evening.. it is hard to believe that anxiety can cause such a scary symptom..it has really effected my life and if not for this forum I would have been in a much different place.. thank you so much.
    • Posted

That's great I'm glad you feel better, anxiety can take over in such a big way, dont let it control u, people with. Anxiety feel everybody sensation more and then panic if it's normal. Have a read up on it in books not google lol
    • Posted

Hi Carlie

Shortness of breath means (to doctors) that even sitting still you're short of breath - like an asthmatic who's just meandering around the house and suddenly gets hit with an asthma attack.

• Posted

Hi tess, I feel like I can't catch a full breath and yawn a lot to get it and feels like something sitting on me that kid of sensation. I have it most of the time but notice when I'm not noticing that I'm breathing normal if that makes sense lol!! If it was shortness of breath which the doc means would he be like I've walked up the stairs out of breath type of thing. I've had ekg, X-ray and blood done and all was ok doc said its stress and anixety but it feels constant
    • Posted

This is definitely anxiety, since your docs have run a load of tests.

Go into a quiet room, put on some gentle music, sit in a really comfortable chair and relax your shoulders. Close your eyes and concentrate on breathing slowly, in and out, with the emphasis on the 'out' breath. That, I hope, will help you. Love Tess

• Posted

Thanx tess it's just hard to believe that it's aniexty when it's everyday 😫 I'm Gona try that and see if it relaxs me and try the belly breathing. If it's not one thing with anxiety it's another lol
    • Posted

This is exactly how I feel.. It literally feels as if I am struggling all day.. my oxygen levels are perfect.. I have also had every test in the book.. when I busy myself doing other things it goes away and the moment I remember I can't breathe it comes back.. lol.. stay busy and find something you enjoy..I crochet and it helps a lot
    • Posted

I know that's how I am when I'm busy it's normal it's crazy how it can affect u! Nice to talk to someone that actually understands lol everyone thinks I'm crazy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.