PUNCTUAL PLUGS FOR DRY EYES

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had experience of punctual plugs being fitted. I have developed dry eyes, since I had a catart surgery a year ago. Yesterday the consultant said he would fit them. This was quite out of the blue, and I had no idea what they were. So I declined because I am allergic to all eye drops except the preservative free ones, and just having him touch my eyes, means I have a terrible couple of days trying to settle them down.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes I have following cataract surgery and very dry sensitive eyes. They have  certainly helped though initially itchy. Good luck
  • Posted

I have been considering punctual plugs for almost a year for my extreme dry eye condition, and I did a lot of online research.

I found that there's a 50-50 chance of them not working, either because they fall out (agony!) or because they simply make no difference.

But for the other 50%, they were a boon.

I am also allergic to most eye drops, but was assured there would be drops that would work for me. I am currently on three different kinds that do not bother me after going through about 15 others!

If you do go for them, keep us posted.

A tough decision to make!

• Posted

I've had them twice, years ago. Both times they came out within 2 weeks. So I gave up. The first couple days mine helped a little. But after that I didn't notice much difference. I have very bad dry eye, I use different drops through the the day. They must work for some or they wouldn't be doing them. Good luck!
    • Posted

I have only just picked this up. I didnt realise, that I had to 'follow' my own discussion !!!

So Light thanks for you reply, that is very helpful. However, did you ever have them fitted.???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.