Pure rage on Citalopram after day 3

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey there folks,

Has anybody else had that experience, felt like i was on another planet for the the 1st 2 days on citalopram, felt really agitated on the 3rd day so went for a walk. It calmed me a little then about an hour later i had this frightening rage build up in me, i told my wife i was stopping taking them because i really felt like i wanted to hurt someone, i took .5 of my wife's xanax to stop my panic attack that built up and literally locked myself in the bathroom until i calmed down enough to be around people. Any help or advice would be great or even just to share similar experiences so i dont feel like im going mad.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sorry i left out ive been prescribed them for Severe Anxiety and Panic disorder.
  • Posted

hi the problem with taking ssri's/serotonin meds is, they affect the following areas:   sleep, appetite, aggression.. as well as overall mood and then other things such as changes in sex drive or sexual side effects etc

so some people might lose appetite or find it is increased, some people might feel sleepy, or the opposite, cant sleep at all, .. etc

often these will pass though after a few weeks to a month of starting the meds, as your body adjusts.  your aggressive feelings might subside in a week or so but if they are too bothersome to you, you should go and speak to your doctor.  he or she might advise you try a different med such as sertraline, because for each ssri out there u will find the side effects will differ between each person

• Posted

by the way i forgot to mention, personally speaking i found citalopram made me feel more aggressive than usual when i started them, but after a few weeks  that went away (at least for me), and im back to 'normal'  (whatever that means)  smile

• Posted

I spoke with the nurse at my doctor's on the the phone she told me to take a half pill to taper off and stop taking them and left a note with my doc so i guess its back to starting over on a new med sad

• Posted

ah ok playing it safe then, certainly nothing wrong with that

perhaps they will advise on starting on something like sertraline instead,  i wouldn't worry there are tons of options and with a little time you will certainly feel better.  it's often a little uncomfortable with the side effects for the first few weeks to a month though, so certainly dont rush things with a high dose and try to stay off alcohol for a month or two if you drink

• Posted

Went to the docs last, been prescribed effexor and valium but very low doses so dont see how they will have an effect unless its just to get me started on them. My doc knows i was self medicating with alcohol because for over a year i struggled on my own, just been told to limit my intake, while not on meds the weekend i had drinks but nothing since which the doc knows about but still only told me to limit alcohol not avoid it?
    • Posted

Last *night.
    • Posted

Ive always heard to completley avoid it. But I'm no doctor.

• Posted

Yeah im reading up about these antidepressants, some pretty nasty pills most of what ive read..especially mixed with alcohol. Lucky i stopped drinking before the doc put me on the new meds.
    • Posted

Trust me the way im feeling on these pills right now i wont be drinking for a while.
  • Posted

I'm just coming off after 4 weeks on. I had a veryyyy bad experience with this drug! Seratonin toxicity. Was having tremors non stop couldn't eat, extremeeeeee anxiety, agitation, intrusive violent thoughts, sick for 4 weeks couldn't eat anything. Ive lost 24lbs. Horrrrrible drug. Sorry not trying to scare you but this med isnt for everyone

• Posted

Just glad im off the stuff obviously won't see any effects from the Effexor for up to 6 weeks im told but took the 2.5 mg valium as told when I'm real tense, i check my blood pressure every day as im prehypertension and ive noticed both blood pressure and heart rate have gone down considerably after 1 day...so maybe i was wrong about the effects, did nothing for my insomnia though :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.