Putting things in your eye

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I have a cousin who likes to put things in the outside edge eyes that are soft or cold. He only does it when he gets tired and he said, "It's calming". He puts anything from the side of his finger, cotton pillow case, or even the cat's ear in his eye. It hasn't effect his eye sight even tho he is 18 years old and has been doing it sign he could talk. Is there some type of addiction? Does it have a name? Has anyone heard of something like this before? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My name is Sarah and I'm 38.

Ever since I was little, I will every once and a while run my hair across the edge of my eye. It feels nice... cool and soothing. I never thought much about it but one time my sister pointed it out and I realized it IS a little weird and i actually never have heard of anyone else doing it. Anyways, I wouldn't say it's an addiction, that's a strong word. I'd say it's more equivalent to twirling hair, sucking your thumb or running the bed sheets between your toes. No big deal, every once and a while, no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. Just an oddity I didn't realize anyone else shared. That's how it is for me anyways. I always thought, in the back of my mind, that it probably wasn't the greatest idea to be putting anything in my eye that didn't belong there but as of yet, as far as I can tell, it's never been the cause of any problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.