PVNS AND PATELLOFEMORAL ARTHRITUS IN KNEE

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, I'm a 52 year old man from ENGLAND, UK. Played lot of Sport as a younger man now suffering with both diseases of right knee, Pvns and PATELLOFEMORAL ARTHRITUS. Had 3 small tumours removed in November. KNEE NO BETTER. TKR has been spoken about by my surgeon but he's reluctant as he's says I'm only 52!! I'm struggling with swelling and pain, can't work or walk well. How old were you when Tkr took place UK reluctant to let me have op

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It used to be that we didn't like to do TKR on patients under 60. But that has changed and if you are willing to give up running jumping and other impact activities you are probably a candidate. Not sure how the PVNS factors in but don't think it would prevent a TKR
  • Posted

I had TKR 4 years ago.  I am 65 now.

Had to relly push to get it done.

My knee was really bad but my GP said he thought they would not have done the operation any earlier. 

For me it has been a complete success.

Hope you manage to get the same result as me.

I live in Wales and had the operation in Hereford in England.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Great to hear things are going so well for you Sarah.

I hope to be like you with time. ☺😊😄

• Posted

Hi Rory, the variance of attitude within the NHS is so frustrating! I have been really fortunate with my surgeon, he's MASSIVELY against what he calls reverse ageism. I had my first TKR almost 12 months ago, at the age of 48, and the 2nd one 7 months later. At the consultation when we decided to proceed with #2, he was tutoring a junior doctor and became rather passionately animated about "younger" patients deserving an improved quality of life. Maybe that's an angle you could pursue with your consultant? I can understand, to a certain extent, that the earlier the surgery is done then there may be an increased risk of repeat surgery being required, but surely the potential improvement to the patients quality of life in the intervening years outweighs the risk? It's a tricky subject, with many different opinions - I wish you the best of luck as you start this journey, and will be interested to hear how you get on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.