Posted , 2 users are following.

My 21 yr old son recently diagnosed with mental health problems and suffering pychosis. He been on olanzipine for a week but so far symptoms still as bad. He suffers with all sypmtoms i have read about and we as a family struggling with stress. Has anyone any suggestions how to help him wen a symptom happens? Eg extreme anxiety aggiration unable to sit down pacing angry. If anyone has experienced this themselves please tell me how best to help him

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi JUlie, and I'm sorry about your son. It must be a devstating diagnosis for you as a family to come to terms with.

    The most important thing is to keep in close contact with your son's psychiatrist.

    When people suffer psychosis, it usually takes a while before the correct medication is identified. Sometimes, patients have to take more than one medication - or have the doses altered of the ones they're already on.

    It's possible that he needs a higher dose of olanzapine, but only your psychiatrist can deal with this.

    The best way to help your son is to get in touch with the Crisis Team and ask them to visit. Also, make sure your son keeps taking the medication he has already been prescribed, at least until his psychiatrist has a chance to evaluate how your son is doing on the original prescription.

    A large number of people who are psychotic are able to resume what is described as 'a normal life', but they have to have the correct medication (s) to achieve this.

    You, as a family, are of course, very stressed as well. You will all feel better once your son gets the correct treatment. Don't hesitate to get in touch with the psychiatrist and tell her/him how your son is behaving at the moment. It may simly be that the dose of olanzapine needs to be increased - or another medication added.

    I have been through this with my 20 year old neighbour, who suffers also from psychosis, and I'm always her first point of contact when she has a meltdown, as her family are further away than I am. I stay with the young lady until a decision has been reached and always phone her mum, so that she can make arrangements to come to be with her daughter.

    There is nothing you can do except to agree with anything your son says, and don't spark him off if he's agitated. Remove obvious weapons, in case of severe violence, and if necessary call the police for assistance if the mental health crisis team are being unhelpful. The police will not arrest him - they will be there to ensure that you and he remain safe until psychiatric help arrives. Indeed, the police can take your son to a mental hospital, if they feel it is necessary, and he sill be seen much more quickly if the police bring him in.

    This may sound extreme, but I have the highest praise for the police on the many occasions I have had to call them for assistance with my young neighbour. They were unfailingly kind and supportive and will stay until the situation is resolved - several hours if necessary.

    Please message me back if you think I can help any further, and don't lose hope. Love Tess

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thankyou for your reply that is very helpful. We do have early intervention team involved and the home treatment team. They are all great. Its just knowing how to manage an episode wen it occurs. Thanks again. Any information is helpful.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I do understand, but if an episode looks like it'ss leading to aggression and physical violence, call an ambulance and the police. They will not be judgemental and their sole aim is to keep your son and the rest of your family safe.

      I know that the Home Intervention Team can sometimes take hours to respond - you may not have a few hours while an episode is happening, so do call the emergency services, for everyone's safety.

      I hope with all my heart that your son gets the right medication soon.

      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up