Question about tic disorder

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 22 years old. For 7 years, I have been doing some movements and sounds :

- I'm cracking my knuckles over my chin. Also my wrists and elbows.

- I'm clearing my throat.

- I'm biting my lips and my nails.

- I'm cracking my neck

If I don't do these movements, I can feel tension or stress. I would like to know if tic disorders can cause this and to have people who are sharing the same experience

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The only 2 causes I know for people to act that way are anxiety and depression (I'm not a doctor it could be something else I'm only speaking out of experience) I suggest you join an Anxiety group and ask other people with Anxiety if they have similar symptoms and continue from there.

• Posted

It could be Tourette's Syndrome, although it generally starts a bit younger. I have Tourette's, and I used to have an involuntary throat clearing thing, and now I just clear it a lot (I don't know if it's a tic or not). I bite my nails and my lips a lot too. I crack my fingers. Like the other commenter said though, I guess it could also be anxiety? I don't know much about anxiety leading to that, but I do have generalised anxiety.

• Posted

Hi ! Thanks for your answer !

I just have some questions : are your tics totally involuntary or do you feel some tension ? And are your tics quite frequent or very rare ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.