Question About Weight Gain

Edited , 3 users are following.

I was on Mirtazapine from January to May. Went to 30mg. I've been off for over a month, but have felt like crap so I've talked with my doctor about going back on 7.5mg. My question is if I eat healthy, will I still gain weight? I gained 20 pounds before which is why I came off, but as I was tapering off I started dieting and exercising and lost weight while still on it .

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Edited

hi, im on it too and i went from 42kg (really underweight) to 54kg in 2 months. i didnt watch my diet but i dont think i was eating any more than i did before. i genuinely think mirtazapine changes your metabolism its not as easy as stop eating. when i was underweight i ate whatever i wanted and never gained weight. now i could eat salads every day for a month and only lose a pound. its horrible. i dont know if thats just on 30 and if you wont gain any more on just 15. if someone knows the answer please tell

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'd love to give you a different answer but I agree with @maddie83004 - without a doubt, it is not (just) about what you eat. I've been a very careful eater all my life and I'm not eating any differently than I've always done, yet have put on between 1 - 2 stone since starting taking it. At first I wasn't really calorie counting - just eating the same (healthily) as I always did - and I put on 2 stone. With careful calorie counting I've managed to now get that down to between 1 - 1.5 stone heavier than my natural weight without Mirtazapine. It changes your metabolism and the way you store fat. There isn't enough research done about it to understand how or why - I'd hazard a guess because the pharma companies aren't interested in paying for this kind of research! - but nevertheless it is true. Upshot is: being very strict it is possible to limit the weight gain slightly, but be prepared to gain at least a stone. Such a shame because for me Mirtazapine is a great drug otherwise, but I'll never be happy with this as a side effect.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up