Question on lab numbers

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have gone to both Conventional Dr's and Naturopathic Dr's and as I'm sure everyone is aware of, they are total opposites when it comes to reading lab reports. For example: conventional medicine will look at a blood sugar result of 103 as normal because that number is not quite warranted in treating it with meds. Whereas, a Naturopathic Dr will say RED FLAG...RED FLAG....your sugar is high lets get it down by doing such and such...

I had just a couple of things come back on my labs that I just wanted to know what the cause is from being high. I know that right now I am in the beginning of Hypothyroidism. But, my number on my Thyroglobulin Antibodies was 2 IU and they want it to be 1 or less. What is this test exactly?

The other one was The Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies and that number is 18 and the reference range says it needs to be less than 9. The other test that they said was normal was my FSH test which my number said 36.8 but the reference ranges says, Follicular phase, (2.5-10.2)mid cycle peak(3.1-17.7), Luteal Phase(1.5-9.1) and Post Menopausal which that reference range says 23.0-116.4 which by my number, I fall into that category but I'm not post yet.

Can someone help me understand my numbers?

Thanks much!!!!!😝

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My FSH was 37.8 and i was told that my bloods were normal, estradiol 200.

I read my result like you, post meno - im 52 and still having periods.

I don't get it either.

Im going to docs this week for HRT, he said he was happy to prescribe it for me.

• Posted

I don't understand that. I thought maybe they made a mistake but maybe not. I wish they would explain more to their patients that want to know what's going on every step of the way of this transition. That would help. I still have periods to but I can skip two months...then have one so I never know now.
  • Posted

I had same thing happen. No, not sure what the Thyroid numbers mean, I had a different panel run. I will tell you, I was (after a lifetime of running on the end close to hyperthyroidism) falling into the range of hypothyroidism and was prescribed Armour for it. It proved to be too much and I am no longer taking anything. I am also a year into true menopause so I am thinking while our bodies are going through a whirlwind of all kinds of changes, the thyroid gland must get assaulted a bit too, in my case, temporarily I believe. I hear this is common so while the Integrative MD and a Naturopath were quick to want to treat it, I actually ended up following my original MD's advice and let things shake out a bit and get re-tested a year later. Now I am back in the new normal (there are 2 different thyroid test guidelines being followed in US) so for me while I had a brief dip into hypothyroidism, I am hoping it stays that way and I can avoid meds.

The hormone numbers........ugh.....source of frustration really. I was told at best they can give you an "idea" of where you are at, but like you, I was reading I was already post menopausal when I most certainly hadn't arrived there yet. Naturopaths will tell you that the saliva tests are more accurate......it's gets a bet confusing.

Honestly, my symptoms were my best guide. And it got really insane the last year. Thought I was going to lose my my mind for certain. So for me, the increased symptoms and unstable business was the best gauge for knowing the end was near. Now 1 year out, while there are still some odd feelings very occasionally, it's a vast improvement.

Wising you the best!

Anniexx

Things do get better.

• Posted

That makes total sense. I never thought of letting it shake out but you're right...everything is changing and it's smart to wait and see a pattern. I really don't have symptoms of hypothyroidism but until we hit full menopause, what you said makes sense. I mean it took years to finally know our bodies and what to expect from the time our cycles began, now it's starting something new and we are much older. So yea, good advice! Doing research wears me out and stresses me out!😝

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.