Question on scar tissue from tkr

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 7 wk po from left tkr. The scar has healed nicely but, there are little areas along the 7" scar that resembles roping and under the "roping" are bumps. The color is also very red. Other areas look like a faded scar - the color is faint, not red, no rope look and no bumps. Are these bumps scar tissue? If so, do I massage them around til they break apart? I massage mederma into the scar every day.

Thank you

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It will be fine. Don't worry. My left scar is 25 weeks and starting to look like regular skin. My right is 11 weeks and looks as you describe yours.

No worries!

Happy New Year!

• Posted

Dear Cheryl

Thank you so very much for your reassuring words. Have a wonderful New Year.

• Posted

You are very welcome! I think just knowing that others are experiencing the same things is VERY HELPFUL. I know it helps ME feel less worried!

Happy New Year!

• Posted

Mine is now 9 weeks, & was re-opened due to a revision, so is now an extra inch longer top & bottom, & it looks just like yours. I use Bio-oil here in the UK. I hate feeling the bumps & lumps (my surgeon told me there are 6 layers of stitches under our scars) but just grit my teeth & do it about 4 times a day! It all sounds normal to me!
    • Posted

Thank you for responding and the helpful info. I will start the regimen today. Happy New Year
  • Posted

Same with my incision. It's still purple in the upper portion and has developed what you describe as a 'roping' with two small bumps. I started using Mederma as my surgeon suggested. I had been massaging my incision ever since it closed but had been using a lotion they gave me in the hospital. Truthfully, I don't see any difference in the two lotions except the Mederma cost me $44 and the one from the hospital cost nothing. I have noticed (after 2 weeks of Mederma) that the two small bumps have opened on top leaving a flat red heal scab. I guess there's nothing else we can do but continue the massage several times a day and wait.
    • Posted

Thank you Jemma for your reply and helpful info. I have some work to do.

Good Luck to all going through this and Happy New Year.

• Posted

once the scar is clean and dry with no ozzing yes then use bio oil and dig in with the finger tips and massage it twice a day i remember the first time i was sooo gentle with my massage at home ,but when i had physio she didnt spare it i was horrified but she just said it will heal and look better faster i showed her the way i did it she laughed and said i might as well be tickling myself so from there on i did the same and the bumps flattened out and it looked much better in no time  its not a matter of breaking them apart its more of flatening them out
  • Posted

compression (tubigrip -one layer), massage and moisturising will help your scar.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.