Questions about a shrink

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the past while i've been thinking of going to see a professional for what my family doctor has diagnosed me with, depression. I've tried everything else except seeing a shrink. Most logical people just go see the person because really what else do i have to lose? But i'm scared because what if i do it and i don't feel any better, or even worse? I've been contemplating the possibility of suicide. Honestly i think i'm waiting for something to push me over my limit.

I guess my questions are if anybody has been in the similar position and how you've dealt with it? Maybe even how i would go about finding a pro to talk to?

Everyday is becoming a matter of "why don't you just kill yourself already?" and everyday i'm losing the will to want to try and get better. 

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear you're feeling down... have you considered therapy? i'm going through much the same thing right now and therapy is my next step to recovery. Killing yourself seems like the best and easiest way out, but it really isn't. Especially for those who care about you. Good luck and keep us posted! 
  • Posted

I have the answer to your everyday question.   Suicide doesn't eliminate the crushing mental anguish you are feeling, it just transfers it to everyone else.   My high school crush killed himself 30 years ago and I still cry over it, especially since I couldn't act on my crush for him and back then if a boy has a boyfriend in school they both become human punching bags with the tacit permission of the authorities.  His pain became my grief and guilt.   I got over the guilt but I will never stop grieving, I simply just ran out of tears and learned to just go on.  The worse part about suicide is that you can't predict who will experience the majority of your crushing mental anguish and their reaction.   Since I am in the states and had private insurance I talked to them to find a mental health provider.   They will pay mostly for the Psychiatrist but not for the Psychologist until a certain amount is reached.   Very bizarre.   Try contacting someone at NHS as soon as possible to seek help, please.
  • Posted

Hi jared01868

I can understand your apprehension of going to see a psychiatrist as you don't know what to expect, or you cannot understand why you have got to this place or if you are like me you question your sanity and are you going mad (NO), nothing else has worked so why would this..

But you will never know if it works unless you have tried and knowing someone is trying to help you get better can be a positive on its own.

It sounds like your frustrated because you have tried other things and your no further on and this is making you mood worse..  But that is your depression talking not the real you. You are so worth doing everything and anything to get help so you don't have those scary thoughts of not wanting to live anymore..

You are not on your own in everything your thinking and feeling. Keep posting on here even just to vent and someone will come along to talk to you at some point.. That alone can be helpful..

• Posted

We may not have the same cause for our pain, but I know your pain. Many people know your pain. You're not alone. And you should never feel alone.

In my own opinion, you shouldn't see a therapist until you stop calling them a shrink. What I mean is that therapy doesn't work unless you want it to work. When you sit down with a therapist, they let you talk. They don't put in their two cents. Therapy is like talking to yourself out loud, but makes it okay because there's actually someone listening to you.

My dad forced me to go to therapy, and I was so adamantly against it that I feel it made my situation worse. don't get therapy until you feel like you're ready.

In the meantime, you should try to find the source of your depression. Take a walk, eat healthier (salads aren't the only healthy foods (: ) and try to compliment someone at least once a day. I know it seems like some dumb teen advice, but this is what I've been trying to do and I feel a little bit better. I stopped self harming so it's a step in the right direction.

Recovery is slow. But remember, steel screams when it's being molded. You're stronger than you think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.