Questions about first week of Prozac

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered from anxiety and depression for many years. I saw a new psychiatrist 5 days ago, in which he prescribed me Prozac 10mg, Trazadone 50mg and klonipins .5mg. I'm on my 4th day taking Prozac and am starting to experience headaches and sleepiness and dizziness symptoms. I understand these antidepressants make the body worse before getting better, however, my question is how long do these sysmptoms last? Do they go away. And if they don't, how long should I wait before I contact my doctor about these issues? Also, I'm not very fond of overdoing my benzodiazepines, but if I feel like this should I take more? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes they do make you worse before getting better.  Side effects from the meds can last a few weeks, sometimes longer for some.  Don't expect to get better after those few weeks though as these meds can take many, many months before you even feel the slightest notion of recovery stirring.  During recovery you may also find yourself up and down ..... you think you're turning a corner only to find a few days later you're back at square one.  That's normal.  Don't try and hurry recovery, don't keep upping / reducing meds because you can't make it happen any quicker and will only make yourself feel worse.

Lots of patience, lots of perseverance and chat on this site - there's lots of people going through the same and lots more that have gone through it.

Oh .... last thing, never stop taking your medicine abruptly.  You have to wean off these meds, and stopping dead will make you feel quite ill.

The symptoms don't last forever - its worth the wait.

You'll get there xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.