Questions about gallstones attack

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have just come out of hospital after my second ever gallstone attack (first about 2 yrs ago). I am now on the 6th day of pain and nausea/vomiting and feeling very down. The hospital discharged me yesterday as I was keeping fluids and some food down - the US showed 2 stones in the neck of the gb and multiple other small stones. I am on a lot of painkillers, anti-sickness and huge anti-biotics, which they say will reduce the inflammation soon, and I am going back in 2 weeks for an appointment to set a date for gallbladder removal. I have a few questions:

1) Is it normal for an attack to last this long?

2) What can I actually eat? Last night I woke up in agony and threw up an undigested apple, which helped the pain, but I'm scared to eat anything and can't keep my meds down on an empty stomach.

3) How likely is it that I'll still have symptoms after removal?

4) Is there anything I can do to make myself feel better right now?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Forgot to ask, does everyone that has to have their gallbladder out need to have a drain put in?

I was trying to look up diet changes on google and came across a thread somewhere, where everyone was talking about having drains, having to go home with them and then taken out later.

This absolutely terrifies me - does this happen with everyone?

• Posted

1) Yes sad

2) Try a liquid diet for a day or two, ice cold cans of Nutrament or Nurishment (available from most convenience / corner stores), strawberry, chocolate, they mostly taste quite nice smile

3) Its a lucky or not so lucky dip :?

4) Take painkillers until you are out of it :wink: :lol: :oops: Err, no, theres no magic bullet :?

Most operations are carried out laparoscopically (key hole) so a drain isnt generally required smile

• Posted

hi , i hope you are feeling better soon,

firstly it is unusual for an attack to last that long but not impossible - i had an obstruction and was ill and in pain for a couple of days, suddenly the pain became unbearable and then just went. the dr told me after this i was in pain but i could not feel it (the stone was blocking off a nerve and i had no feeling in the area or down to my knees the pain came back eventually when they removed the stone on the 3rd attempt by ERCP. the dr's tell me i was in pain all that time but could not feel it - they also said this was an extreme case.

secondlyi was on an almost fat free diet untill surgery (and no alcohol) for 6 months the worst being i became ill just before christmas so no wine or normal christmas lunch for me that year. i also found their were some healthy foods i could not tolorate oranges being a complete nightmare.

thirdly i have had problems since due to my surgery (i developed a hernia due to moving house 6 weeks after open surgery) but have had none of the symptoms of post choly syndrome - although i do find i cant skip meals or eat my evening meal too late (if i am going out and will be eating late i have to make sure i have a snack earlier on.

and lastly i had a drain for 24 hours post op - but i had a large open op with complications and they had to remove my apendix as well again a drain is not always necessary.

i hope you get some relief soon keep tryng to eat low fat food and taking the meds. dont try to overdo it. and i hope your appointment goes well in a couple of weeks. dont let them leave it too long.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice - apparently they normally wait 6 weeks after an attack to remove it, but if I am symptom free at this appointment in 2 weeks then they will do it even sooner. This sounds a bit too good to be true for the NHS, I'm not sure what the catch is! I have another chronic condition, and I always have to wait 6 months for those ops, so I'm not sure why this one should be so fast, but I won't complain!

I managed a few mouthfuls of soup last night and a very small bowl of cereal this morning, and no nausea yet (touch wood) so hopefully I'm on the mend.

Weirdly, I seem to be in far less pain in the mornings, then it gets worse through the day - not sure why?

Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated.

• Posted

I think there a new targets or whatever for operations nowadays so you could have it in 6 weeks smile Like [b:2cbb0aa506]Vixen[/b:2cbb0aa506] says,, stick to a very low fat diet :wink:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.