Questions before having surgery on my bunions?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have already went to the doctor and had x-rays done and was told that for how young I am (21) that my feet are really bad. They interfere with my everyday life, that even having the comforter ontop of my feet hurt and I have even though I was having gout attacks before because i was in so much pain.

My questions are has anyone had side incisions instead of the incision on top? I have a tattoo that I don't want ruined and know that majority of doctors only know one way to preform this surgery. Also, I have been prescribed pain medications before like tramadol and vicodin and I have also take rocicodone and morphine. I have a high tolerance when it comes to taking pain pills and was wondering if I should mention this to my doctor so that what he prescribes me is enough to help with pain. I do not want to be viewed as a junkie because I am not, I have just been prescribed these pain medications before for different reasons.

I also want to know the amount or dosage of different pain medications everyone has gotten, I noticed they range from tramadol, vicodin, and percocets. Along with aleve and OTC pain killers.

I plan on getting both of my feet done, so I can get back to work and school. Is it much more difficult to get around and heal when you have had both done? And do you really have to have someone there 24/7 to take care of you? My boyfriend is a full time student and my parents live 10 hours away. Would I be able to care for myself while my bf is in class until he gets home?

Sorry for all of the questions, I am just really curius and nervous about getting this procedure done. But at the same time I am so exctied not to be ashamed to wear flip flops anymore or to go get my toes done! And hopefully find shoes that I can actually wear! I have always been picked on about how wide my feet are, when really it is just how wide the bunion is.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

One can't help feeling bad for you that at 21 years,  you're already having problems with your feet.

doctors can only go on the information you give them so don't worry about what they'll think and tell them about your concerns about what medication will work for you.  

You need to be careful about what shoes you wear after the operation as unless you have a genetic reason, your shoes can't have been right for your feet to have this problem so young.

if you read through this forum you will find advice about how to manage after the operation.  Perhaps you could have the operation during your holiday so that you can stay with parents/boyfriend?  

I'm yet to have the operation myself but there's one operation called Minimally Invasive key hole surgery but it's not suitable for everyone.  Again your doctor will advise you of this and only a few surgeons are trained to do this procedure.  I understand that recovery time is quicker and there's less pain.

good luck and I hope you get lots of good advice from the forum!

• Posted

I believe that my bunions are from wearing bad shoes and genetics. My dad, aunt, and grandma have them but not to the extent of mine, probably because they wore the right shoes and not converses and flip flops. My aunt did just have surgey on one of her bunions but she hasn't said much to me. I also had an attachment of my x-ray.
    • Posted

Flip flops should only be worn at the beach or for very short walks!  We should be taught this at school!  If you are going hiking wear hiking shoes/boots, if you like heels, wear flat shoes to the office & then change there.  A bit late for most of us on the forum! smile  I think I wore shoes that were too small and that's the worst thing you can do as it pushes the joints out of line.

I can't see why Converses are bad unless you don't lace them up?  Keep in touch & let us know how you get on...

• Posted

Converses are really narrow shoes and I wore those growing up, they always squeezed my toes together but I always put up with it. The shoes I wear to work are Dr.Schols insoles and are wide! They are more comfortable than anything else I wear!

But thank you I defiantly will, I am on the search of finding a doctor nearby to fit me in school before the school semester.

• Posted

Hotwheelz,  it is good that you are getting your feet fixed now while you are young.  I have seen many with side incisions, I would ask your doctor if he could do the surgery with just a side toe incision and ask him about the pain meds.  If you don't ask you don't get.  That is what I always tell me adult kids.  I would have someone with you for the first 5 days after surgery.  All the best!
  • Posted

Does anyone know how long of a wait it is until you can drive?
  • Posted

Hi hotwheelz. We have a manual car and I had my left foot done 7 weeks ago. The surgeon said to try the clutch while the car in switched off to see how it felt. I tried that 2 days ago and it really hurt a lot so back to frustration.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.