Questions for my fellow mental patients😁

Posted , 8 users are following.

.....Totally kidding

I have heard that anxiety and depression "go hand in hand". Any thoughts on this? Does anyone have just one of these without the other? And also, If they do come as a combo; The question more important to me here is; Which one comes first? I'm not sure, maybe it's different for some. But my educated guess would be; Depression.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi James,you must understand that the medication called citrolopram is an anti depressant ,so panic attack ,depression and anxiety will be helped by taking this medication.You cannot break it down and say depression is the main reason for taking citrolopram ,.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I do understand, I was on citalopram for all 3, mainly anxiety. Like the question "Did the chicken come first or the egg?"

Does depression come before anxiety or vice versa?

• Posted

anxiety creates depression and depression creates anxiety.hand in hand .vise versa in every way.

• Posted

This is an excellent question. I think the co-create together because of complexity of the brain chemicals and how they effect one another. I've been researching this. Anxiety and depression have distinct differences but also have many similarities. SO it depends on what you are personally experiencing. Low serotonin is more associated with depression and low GABA with anxiety. Yet DR's usually prescribe an ssri for both conditions and cautiously prescribe Benzodiazepines for short term use which are a class of anti-anxiety drugs that work by enhancing the activity of GABA receptors to calm the nerves and alleviate anxiety. I"ll l pm you an interesting website that has a great questionairre you can take.

• Posted

Thank you Cara. I thought it was a good question too😁

If you read my response to another's post below, that will give you some background on me. I was on Cit. for 10 months and weaned off over 3. So I was on it total for over a year. I believe it helped. It also helps for pain too. It was a little difficult getting off, but I managed.

Anyway, at one time I was looking into GABA , and I read it was a scam. Something that it wasn't able to cross blood brain barrier or it has to be something else before it becomes GABA, I don't remember exactly. But I did heavily research it to NOT work. Thank you for the message...I will definitely look into that. And I will also again research some GABA....because... ANXIETY SUCKS BALLS!!! May God bless us all thru these challenges.

• Posted

James,

I've had these thoughts as well, I didn't really experience anything like depression until after I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, maybe a year in with clexa? my educated guess would be that either could start a positive feedback loop; start with depression and it fuels anxiety, start with anxiety and it fuels depression.

Jillian

• Posted

Good point. I had ongoing anxiety issues accompanied with awful..AWFUL panic attacks. Sometimes 4-6 a day, one time 3 in a row...literally one after the other, til I finally fell victim to them and had a nervous breakdown that took me out of work for 2 MONTHS!!! This all started following the death of my mom. I mean I had some panic attacks preceding her death. But it all just was a downward spiral after she died. Anyway, I felt severe depression following my breakdown. Which stated would seem I had obvious anxiety before depression. However, I wondered if I was possibly depressed beforehand for many years and just didn't know it. Like maybe I was just accepting of life and who I was and who I was becoming. But was depressed the whole time unaware....who knows. God knows...I don't...LOL. Anyway...thank you for your feedback. Much obliged!

• Posted

I am sorry to say they do go hand in hand.I have both for many years.Lots of self help is required.IT is really hard,treat it as a challenge.Take care.

• Posted

hi james

i was the same had my first panic attack after my husband died suddenly at the age of 48 leaving myself and 2 daughters who were both nearly due with their first child . I tried to stay strong for them but it took its toll and i had a massive panic attack then nothing for 3 years . My eldest grandson ws taken seriously ill and we nearly lost him . I was watching tv 1 night and boom thats when it all started didnt know what the hell was wrong . I am on the road to recovery now still have some low days but over all i am good i am on 10mg which i am happy to stay on . We all get down at some point in our lives but our brain is a complex thing .

• Posted

Hi James

I was given citalopram years ago for PTSD and Anxiety. I have never been diagnosed with Depression, or feel depressed. (Have moments like anyone). This time round I was given Citalopram for hot flushes. Am coming off them now and can say that's the closest I have come to feeling depressed due to withdrawal if that is depression, but have read up on serotonin, so know its to do with that and just ride it out and it does pass. Have been tapering for over a year now, so know the drill. My son appears to suffer with depression, so have an idea how debilitating it can be, and encourage him to feel the feelings and work through it, he is doing ok. With withdrawal I do get alot of I cant be bothered to do anything feelings, but just ride it out. If it didn't pass I would see a counsellor. So for me, Depression doesnt not follow or precede anxiety.

• Posted

Thank you Paula. I appreciate your wisdom and experience. Keep fighting the good fight!!!

• Posted

Thank you so much! that's exactly what I say lol! same to you, it will be worth it in the end I promise you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.