QUETIAPINE

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I've been suffering with sycitsofrinia since I was 13 and in now 16 and still haven't found a medication that's works. I've been on 8 different types off medication. I also have depression, anxiety, eating disorder and ADHD. After my second attempt off suicide last month my syciatrist wants me to start on 'quetiapine' but I've googled it and it says about weight gaining. I currently weigh 4 stone and scared off gaining weight from the medication. What's your thought on the medication and doctors advice ? X 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lexy you only weigh 4 stone?  Was that a typing error?  If you only weigh that you are severely underweight.  x
    • Posted

Sorry I'm typing on an iPad, I'm 5 stone. I've been diagnosed with anorexia. X 
  • Posted

5 stone is much too low as well.  Are you getting treatment for your anorexia?  If not you must.  x
    • Posted

Yeah I am, in under alott off treatment at the MOMMENT x 
  • Posted

The first thing I need to say, (and you probably don't want to hear this!) is that you really need to put on a bot more weight ... not a lot, but at least 2 and maybe 3 stone at least; however one of your greatest fears, may well be putting on more weight anyway ... May i make a suggestion, which is a compromise which may well help you in two ways; You fear that the medication they want to put you on, will cause you to gain weight. Can you accept a compromise? If so you may well benefit in two ways; By allowing to put on a bit more weight, may well mean that the the drugs you are already on, will work better, and then you won't need to be put on the medication which has a side effect of weight-gain, but in a way that may well CANNOT be dieted off, because it acts a bit like a Steroid, and the only way of getting that off, will be by coming back off the new drug, and then having to wait maybe a long time for those drugs to get out of your system. It could well be, that because of your present weight, the drug you are currently on, can't work properly. As for advice on drugs in general, get to know your local Pharmacist, as they have access to information that a GP and sometimes a busy Pshyco Dr just hasn't the time to keep track of. The Pharma, onece they know what your medication in the past, and what you are now taking, can consult with others, and information that a Dr cannot access to give you a far more qualified and up to date opinion than anything you will ever encounter via the internet. 
  • Posted

lexy 4 stone is nothing I weigh 17 stone and dont look too overweight.  Eating disorders give you a false impression of how you look its called  body dysmorphia I think and it will be hard for someone with this to see their body image any other way than imperfect.  I would try and gain some weight with the quetiapine for your own well being.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.