Quick bouts of fear

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anybody else get these I was cooking dinner I then out of nowhere felt my breath was drawn back too fast or something anyways asif like that breath was not normal and then I got the chest scared feeling like when somebody jumps out at you or something lasts seconds I'm not too sure if this is part of anxiety ,

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes although when i tried to explain it to a therapist i described it slightly differently... To me, it's like watching a child who has just had a tantrum and they are trying to calm down afterwards and they keep drawing fast breaths in for a little while until they have got back to normal. Whenever i get this it is a warning sign to me that my anxiety is causing me to breath incorrectly and i do a little bit of focused breathing for a few minutes to get it back on track.... The fear thing you feel is just your bodies normal reaction to your breathing being not qite right. Do some relaxation, deep breathing, meditation, or just laying on your bed for a few minutes and switching off.... Whatever you like to do to help you relax a little and it should help
  • Posted

Hi Steph

Has this just started happening if so have there been any major changes in your life? Anything that is changing your sleep pattern or affecting you at work? If so I'd say it's definitely anxiety and you need to see your doctor. He'll probably give you a very mild anti-depressant.

• Posted

Major changes since October and been bad ever since ..

The bouts of it have just started happening though I had panic attacks constantly before that

• Posted

Yes although when i tried to explain it to a therapist i described it slightly differently... To me, it's like watching a child who has just had a tantrum and they are trying to calm down afterwards and they keep drawing fast breaths in for a little while until they have got back to normal. Whenever i get this it is a warning sign to me that my anxiety is causing me to breath incorrectly and i do a little bit of focused breathing for a few minutes to get it back on track.... The fear thing you feel is just your bodies normal reaction to your breathing being not qite right. Do some relaxation, deep breathing, meditation, or just laying on your bed for a few minutes and switching off.... Whatever you like to do to help you relax a little and it should help
    • Posted

I described it as a sobbing breath like after you cry it just comes randomly though like one odd breath it's not a constant thing although it's constantly through the day
    • Posted

Yes, thats what happens to me.... I can be without it for weeks and then it will happen several times throughout the day. My therapist explained to me that something is causing me anxiety and i am not breathing correctly, i don't know how to explain it scientifically but basically you are not inhaling and exhaling equal amounts of air and you need to just become more aware of your breathing which is why relaxation and yoga etc is so good for people who are prone to anxiety disorders. I usually do a few minutes of breathing in to the count of 3 or 4 or whatever is comfortable.....if you are anxious you can not hold the breaths for very long, and i double the breathing out.... For eg, count in to 3 breathe out to 6 or count in to 4 breathe out to 8.... Try it and see
    • Posted

Oh how good that you managed to get a explanation I went to hospital about it in November to be told they don't have a clue doctors about 13 times to say they don't have a clue what to suggest and even my cbt worker was puzzled but I suppose it must be a anxiety thing hope it gets better soon for you
  • Posted

I get that feeling a lot. Its as if I just got done crying. It doesn't scare me but I feel in caused by my depression besides the anxiety. Its so hard to fight these attacks today. Today is my third day without medicine. Im trying to fight this anxiety and depression but I twitched a bit tired. It really scared me so much. My husband calmed me down and prayed for me and it went away. Still fighting this.
  • Posted

It's amazing how many GPs don't know much about anxiety, but the CBT should have been more knowlegable about it.  Once it was explained to me about why the body reacts as it does to a perceived threat i wasn't so frightened of all my random symptoms

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.