Quite large temperature fluctuations ?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Wonder if anyone here has had this. Yes, Im a bit obsessive and take my temp a bit too much but its funny how it goes from 35.8C to nearly 38 in a matter of minutes, why it increases when i eat any food (hot or cold), i have trouble eating a meal, i have to wear 2 pairs of socks, im almost permanently shivering, i had to stop swimming a couple months back and now even get shivery going for a walk. i know part of this is medication related, just dont understand why it ups and downs so much more than it used to

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rochan. I too am always cold. iI think I have always been the same. As a child I was always huddled near the radiator/fire and any other source of heat. My hands are always freezing. Heater always on in the car.  Now as an adult, still cold rather than warm. I have a hot flushes too which  turn to a chills. This happens during the night too. However, I have been told I'm at that 'funny age' and thats what is causing it! I imagine  you are nowhere near  that stage in your life? .  

Have you had any blood tests to check for thyroid or iron levels etc? I've had them and all negative?   Btw what medication are you taking? 

• Posted

Hi sue02, thanks for your swift reply. Have had lots of blood tests including the thyroid gland, nothing showing. Im taking Mirtazapine an anti-depressant which because I've upped and downed on it a couple of times is now making me sicker and sicker. So looking to switch that. Am also taking a few other meds (although their doses have not changed since all this started), yes i am at the "funny age" i guess although i know this is 100% medication related and can't move hell or water to get any doctor to listen to me. Have to keep trusting my instincts and wait for one to listen i guess. It is not much fun at all. thanks again !
  • Posted

What approach did you use regarding your fluctuating body temp? Did the Dr say it was all related to your anxiety? If i become anxious i appear to warm up quite readily (bit like a hot flush). 

Having a lower than normal temperature is apparently telling you your body isnt functioning at the right level, just the same as a high temperature  is telling you something isnt quite right too. Why on earth is your Dr is reluctant to switch your medication? Surely  if it doesnt  suit there are others? Switching your Dr seems like an idea. You might get somewhere hopefully. Best of luck! X

• Posted

Thanks again sue02, I've been told all my symptoms are anxiety, i know my body is not functioning well at all...

The apporach i use is to wear 2 pairs of socks, and warmer than normal clothes, then if the temp goes up, i drink water. it seems to go up when im eating hot food (which is not surprising, just a lot more than normal).

i have found another doctor who is happy for me to try the new AD, i have also got a meeting on thursday with a psychiatrist so will see what he suggests first and then if i like what he says , stick with him; otherwise go with the new doc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.