Quitting after 17 years..

Posted , 7 users are following.

hello ladies,

i an mew here.

i have been taking hrt for 17 years. Now my doctor refuses to prescribe them. He suggested to use a patch which doesn't work as well. I feel hot flashes coming again, How do I get off it gradually? 

Any natural suggestions?

any help is very much appreciated.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I realise that this response doesn't answer your question, but I'm keen to hear whether your GP tried to stop you taking HRT before now?  I've been on it for 5 years, and mine is talking to me about coming off it soon....which I don't want to do.

• Posted

My doctor tried many times to make me stop but I am still working. There are many young people working with me and I can't be seen as if a pail of water was dropped over my head. .

so now I switched to the patch but the dosage is much lower and the hot flashes are back, my skin and my hair are not the same and I hate it all. My doctor said I am his only patient still taking hormones.

• Posted

thats a very long time apparently sage is good and it is natural I take the black cohosh tinture 
    • Posted

Is the black cohosh really helping? I tried it years ago and it made dizzy.
  • Posted

Thanks for your response.  Like you, I am working and don't want to go back to not sleeping and feeling dreadful.  Are  you able to switch GPs?

• Posted

My doctor is from the old school. I think young doctors do not offer taking hormones. WhenI go for Mamogram and tell them I am on hormones they are always shocked.
  • Posted

Hi. I devided my HRT tablet in to 2 and took half every day. This continued to work for me. Then I devided it into 3 after 6 months and I got a few flushes, but I could cope with this. Came of completly 9 months ago and the sweats and flushes are back with a vengeance tried all the sage, black cosh etc and still feel I am living my life in a steam bath and wearing all my clothes. Going crazy and driving everyone else crazy too. . 
    • Posted

this is exactly what I am afraid off. My doctor mention that I might start bleeding too. Can you imagine at age 69 to start this again? 

• Posted

I am amazed that they are shocked that you take hormones.  Must admit I'd assumed that younger doctors would be more positive about HRT as I once saw a young locum who thought that the research was more positive than the press portrayed it.  My gynaecologist, who removed my ovary 3 years ago, also thought there were more positives than negatives but he was in his 60s.

• Posted

I would have the bleeding back any day. Preferal to this. Some HRT give both oestrogen and Progesteron in each pill and this means the hormones do not fluctuate. And no bleeding either.
  • Posted

Wow, that is the longest I've heard of anyone being on HRT. 3-5 years is usually the maximum time they allow. As for the flushes, I had them bad, my doctor put me on gabapentin which got rid of them. I stopped taking them after a year, then my flushes came back with a vengeance but I decided to go the natural route. I tried  black cohosh and it didn't work, sage made me sick, I took flax seed oil and that seemed to work to reduce the flushes. Try not to take a shower in hot water, in fact I would rinse off with gradually turning the facet from warm to the coldest I could handle on my back. Also, cut off all caffeine, coffee, tea and chocolate. You will feel the difference. As well avoid anything with soy in it. Soy is a hormone disruptor.  Lastly, if all else fails and what I did, was sleep on two frozen packs, covered in a towel. Also, drinking a tablespoon of organic vinegar helps

• Posted

I don't know anyone who has been taking HRT for that long and I admit it only in this forum.

I am already cutting the dosage and will take your advice regarding showers, soy , not chocolate....and coffee only in the mornings.

thank you.

• Posted

Unfortunately, caffeine is a hormone disruptor and it causes hot flushes to the max.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.