Rafter effects of knee replacement surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

im 3 months after my partial knee replacement surgery. I seem to be always tired, still cannot put a lot of pressure on the knee, still some numbness and I always get chills in the one leg only. I also seemed to have lost my appetite. Does this seem normal. I'm in just as much pain as before the surgery ???????

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

90 days or three months after a TKR operation Is really too early. I am  three years post operation I sleep like a log.But  mornings are worst with all the stiffness and pain. Walking, hopping downstairs is always  problem with 65 degrees 'bend'.Climbing upstairs no problem.Standing three minutes max. Walking short distances OK.But I always carry  my forearm crutches in my car. Disabled parking at the Mall or  Dept. Store.  Pain management. Tramadol + Paracetamol. Warning! Never more than 50 mg per day. During the day if not too much walking & standing 0.25 mg (half a capsule is enough). TKR operations require patience. Especially when the outcome is not so successful as in my case due a childhood knee injury. Patience - a lot of patience. Good luck!... 

• Posted

Maryann, numbness lasts a long time since your nerves will try to reattach themselves. At 3 months I was also tired a lot. Your body expends a lot of energy trying to heal. Take naps. Take your pain pills pills regularly to stay ahead of the pain. It's a slow process to heal completely. Be sure to ice your knee after PT and right before bed. Ice helps with the pain. I'm not sure about your appetite loss. I didn't have that.

• Posted

Surgeons should tell you but more don't than do, it takes you 6 months to a year you recover from surgery. The body just can't whip the trauma any sooner than that. Then, the tendency is it push things too hard too quick and that just sets you back further. Be patient.....rest every chance you get, stay hydrated and go slowly. Actually you are still in the infancy stages of recovery but like most people you think you should be way ahead of where you actually are.

• Posted

Hi

I am almost 7 months since my TKR still have some numbness, fortunately not so much pain. Time is a healer I hope it will be for you.

Good healing

• Posted

I lost almost 30 lbs just after surg.

Was told it was the opiod pain meds..absolutely nothing tasted right..or good..no appetite. Im 4 months out..appetite is almost back to normal

• Posted

I lost almost 30 lbs just after surg.

Was told it was the opiod pain meds..absolutely nothing tasted right..or good..no appetite. Im 4 months out..appetite is almost back to normal. But still very easily tired, and lots of numbness which I think they told me some of that will be permanently numb

• Posted

15 months post tkr I have only a tiny area of numbness now and I hardly notice it.
    • Posted

I had a PKR a year and a half ago and still have numbness along the outside of my knee and by the ankle but it rarely bothers meĀ 
  • Posted

Not sure the difference between Tkr and partial. Opiates reduced my appetite, unfortunately I did not lose 30 lbs. Everyone heals differently, some recover (rarely) in 6 weeks and others take a year. Until you are more fully recovered and can bend your knee more comfortably, your will not sleep well and therefore will be tired. For awhile I could only sleep 1 to 2 hours at a time so naps were important. I'm 3.5 months post tkr and am still tired.I do daily exercises and walk my dog twice a day. Give yourself a break and rest when you are tired. Have your surgeon do post op xrays to make sure everything is in the right place. If so, one step at a time. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi

After the TKR operation my taste and smell changed for two to three months. Could not stand air freshener plugins

Regards

• Posted

I'm almost 5 months past total knee replacement I finally had the representative for my Dynasplint come and readjust my brace because she never showed me how and since my MUA, my hamstring has stretched out two inches which makes a big difference on this Dynasplint so she has adjusted it completely straight to keep my kneecap inline so I'm wearing it almost Non-Stop unless I have to go out hopefully this will straighten out the last few "degrees".

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.