Rahter Interesting Behavior With Symfony Lens... Thoughts?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a Symfony implanted 6 weeks ago. At distance I measure 20/20.

Intermediate on the computer is doable but fuzzy. Reading is very blurry... In direct sun can sometimes read J4, but in reality, it seems quite variable and sometimes only J8 is realistic. The phone is not usable even at arm's length. It’s been 6 weeks and I haven’t really had any improvements over day 8 after surgery.

OK, here's the interesting part: If I cover my other eye so that I'm fully relying on this one I can just read a book held at nearly arm's length. If sit and do this for 30 minutes, all of a sudden the text will sharpen right up for a few seconds, usually if I avoid blinking and open my eye wide, and usually will remain clear as I stare in amazement until I blink - then it blurs up. Sometimes I can blink rapidly and attain the same effect of clarity.

But as I say, beyond these "moment's of miraculous clarity", my near vision is blurry as stated initially.

So, I'm a bit worried that this eye is not going to improve since it hasn't since day 8, but yet I have these fleeting moments of crystal clarity which makes me hope that it will somehow "lock in" and stay clear with more time.

Has anyone experienced something like this and can comment?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Just to clarify - the double-vison is limited to the ONE eye. The other eye is fine. Also, I pushed a pin through a piece of paper to make a small hole and when I look through that, the image is clear.
    • Posted

From the sounds of it (after doing pinhole test) appears you may have more than nominal amount of astigmatism.   Do you have your exact prescription?  That would tell you if you do.
  • Posted

Do you have regular Symfony lenses or toric ones?  If toric May be the IOL shifted a bit.  The surgeon could rotate it back but it might be better to have a laser tweaking to correct that eye.  Some premium lens packages come with a package that includes adjustments.
  • Posted

Before surgery I had -0.75 astigmatism and apparently that wasn't enough to warrant a toric lens.

Even though the implant is not toric, they said that after surgery, the astigmatism was no longer present...

My surgeon did indeed say that if I needed a LASIK touchup, it would be included, but he said I don't need it.

But as I say, I see 20/20 at distance with none of this double vision which is only at intermediate and near, and it GOES away for moments... not sure if astigmatism produces these kinds of effects? I thought it was throughout all vision and permanent? 

• Posted

Did your surgeon provide you with your exact prescription?  If it he or she may have that and if you could provide those numbers here people could be more helpful in responding.  In my case i went to an optometrist to get my prescription abou 2 months following surgeries.
  • Posted

My exact prescription is:

for both eyes: sphere:0 and Cyl -0.25

The only difference being that the right eye for distance is 20/15 while the left eye with Intermediate/near double vision is 20/20

I was thinking the double vision could be due to astigmatism, but because both eyes have the same amount, that can't explain it as the issue is only in one eye... also .25 is probably too little to explain.

I don't get it... on paper both eyes measure nearly identical, but for intermediate/near there is a vast difference. If I use the Snellen reading test, I see J1 clearly with the good eye, but struggle to see even J8 with the struggling eye as it's double-vision.

How can this be? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.