Rapid beating in right ear ONLY

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 19 healthy female, underweight and currently experiencing a rapid beating in my right ear. This beating only occurs by certain triggers such as:

hiccups 

burping inside

going for a walk around my village (weird I know)

However, sometimes this beating can be random. It mostly only tends to last a few seconds and is very fast, does not match my heart beat. I’ve recently had a hearing test which came out good (category 1). I’ve also seen my GP who has told me I have allergic rhinitis and eusathian tube dysfunction which affects 3/10 people in my area. However I keep panicking myself that something is wrong as it is only in the right ear - I have been prescribed a nasal spray and have started taking an antihistamine everyday. 

I was just wondering if anyone was experiencing similar symptoms or if you could offer any advice. 

Thanks, Chloe

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

I have had this same thing.  They call this 'middle ear myoclonus'   It is caused by a muscle spasm of one of the muscles of the middle ear.   It is not dangerous.   You should be able to find more info online. When the muscle spasms it pulls on the ear drum causing a thumping sound.  I also have the triggers (yawn most common for me) and it goes away in about 10-30 sec.

• Posted

Hi dizzyear, thanks for the response. Is your beating in one ear and what does it sound like? Mine can sometimes be random like it started randomly last night for a long period 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.