raw sore pain in sternum

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have had acid reflux for years and since January following virual tonsilitis and then a chest infection have had this raw rough feeling in sternum area, which makes me want to cough, no mucus comes up just a tight, tickly feeling which goes into the back sometimes. Had antibiotics 3 weeks ago and all seemed to be settling a bit but today back again with a vengance. I am really scared it is oesophogeul cancer or something as did have a lump feeling which has virtually disappeared. Can eat and drink fine and am not losing weight, but struggling to explain the feeling to GP as it definately not the same as acid. Have posted on various forums but not getting anywhere, apart from being told it is GERD.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried taking something for GERD?  Like Ranitidine, for example.  That is certainly what it sounds like.  I assume you have been back to your GP.

You could try eating unsweetened Greek yoghurt and see if that eases the pain at all - along with the Ranitidine.

Tell your GP that you are frightened that it is something like oesophageal cancer, you won't be the first patient to worry.

• Posted

I have the same exact thing.  Very hard to explain to the doctors.  I orginally thought it was a lung issue which freaked me out, but then I remembered I have been noticing acid attacks at night etc and after a chest xray showed up clear I figure it has to be some type of GI tract issue.

I keep forcing myslef to cough, but really that just seems to make the feeling more noticeable, and I think the coughing is what causes the back pain...

I also am noticing alcohol seems to really make that feeling more noticeable...

Just started omeprazole.  This blows.

• Posted

Thank you both for replies, yes I take 40mg esomeprazole, Gp asked me to reduce to 20mg in November all was going well until tonsil and then chest infection, have now gone back to 40mg but still getting this raw feeling, ranitidine does work a bit but it always come back, told GP I thought I had cancer she said she doubted it as I had an endoscopy within last 10 years and things don't grow that fast, a bit of a strange thing to say, but she must know. She also said I would have other signs, but you read about people feeling well and then get cancer from nowhere. Will jury the yoghurt and see what happens

• Posted

While I doubt it could be cancer, at least I hope not because I have the same symptoms...that claim from your doctor about the ten years is goofy.  

Cancer can show up out of nowhere and turn you into dead-meat in a matter of months much less TEN years!!  

Especially these days in our chemical-ridden world...

• Posted

The body takes time to heal it could be as simple as that and you have simply eaten something that has aggrevated something that hasn't healed hence you are back to square one and have to heal again.

My GP use to regularly ask me to reduce my PPI dose but everytime I did the symptoms came back. I stick on the higher dose and I am fine although some days I have to take extra. Now she doesn't ask me to change it and the consultant is happy with that dose.

I had terrible pain a while ago, went for all the tests and it turned out to be absolutely nothing.... but I had it for 4 months before it went away

• Posted

As usual wknight you are the voice of reason, I did have spag bol last night with garlic bread so that probably has not helped, just getting a bit fed up of bland foods. My GP did not even ask me to reduce my dose I just found it had been reduced when I went for prescription. Have been on 40mg esomeprazole for 8+ years so thought I would try and had managed to get it 20mg when ended up taking loads of pain killers for tonsilitis, plus 2 lots of antibiotics so back to 40mg again. GP said that they thought they were safe but worry about lack of B12 and magnesium, I just said I would take supplements as happy to continue with PPI's. Back to bland foods and hope that helps.
  • Posted

My GP is very good I am on Lanzoprozole and take 30mg a day. I also get a box of 15mg which lasts me ages and I take one every so often when I get a flare up. Usually one is enough and sometimes I may need to take an even higher dose for a couple of days to settle it down.  That is advice from the GP. 

Once I was away and the only food I could get was spicy so I lived on 45mg a day for two weeks without any problems. Told my GP what I did when I got back and she said that was not a problem as now I had returned and was back to normal dose.

From what I understand the PPI is one of those drugs which you can increase for periods of time. Remember you can always ask the pharmcist as they are the drug experts as to whether its a safe dose as I know getting to see a GO can be a big problem.

• Posted

I am suffering badly and scared like you I have esophagal cancer. I am in so much pain burning chest pain and acid all up esophagus making me so croaky. It causes shallow breathing and a cough cos it affects your airways. I now have a "rattle" in my left lung. I am having to wait for an endoscopy so like you am thinking the worst. My food gets stuck too and I can only eat soft things. But I have lost a lot of weight in my face cos I am not absorbing nutrients. Keep on at them. It has taken me a year and  they wouldnt listen until I started suffering like this but I do also have a hiatal hernia. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.