Re-TURP for a 92-year-old?

Posted , 8 users are following.

NOT ME! My dad! He had a TURP about 15-20 years ago, and now has a Foley due to blocked urethra. Has anyone stories to share regarding a late-life roto-rooter re-visit?

It would eliminate the obvious inconveniences, for sure. OTOH, he currently is in limited recovery from a Traumatic Brain Injury (cranial bleed) that was likely the result of a fall he doesn't remember... that happened on a late-night excursion to the loo...

Thoughts? Experiences? Stories you've heard????

Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Buddy

Sorry that your father is going though this problem. All I know is that my doctor would not do a Turp on a man of 90. The only thing he would do is a Urolift

What about a Holep there would be less bleeding and less problem. It's a shame that he has to have something now.

Hope all works out....Ken

• Posted

Finasteride 5mg oral medication was given to me by Uro to shrink my 49 cc prostrate Has anyone had any good results as side effects look scary! Not sure I will take tis but like to get your feed bac

• Posted

If he can only have a TURP, ask for a bipolar/button TURP. Much less bleeding.

• Posted

The Uro who did my GL PVP in 2004 did one on a 92 year old with a big prostate. He said it was the most gentle option available. Probably still is even compared to HoLep. At his age he would only need enough tissue taken away to ease his flow and RE would not be a problem.

• Posted

Finasteride 5mg oral medication was given to me by Uro to shrink my 49 cc prostrate Has anyone had any good results as side effects look scary! Not sure I will take tis but like to get your feed back. I was hoping Ken would comment on this . thanks Drummer10

• Posted

Hi Drummer, you'd likely get more responses if you created a new thread. By posting here you're disrupting someone else's inquiry thread

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.