Reader with Symfony?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since Symfony is extended depth of focus, I am correct to assume that when you wear your readers, you still have good distance vision through the readers?  May not be 20/20 but around 20/40?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Depends on the power of readers you need. But I doubt it. Even with Symfony I need +2 to read fine print and I cant see distance with it because that’s like needing -2 for distance. Add to the fact that I need -.75 for distance anyway. So that’s needing -2.75 for distance. I doubt anyone needing -2.75 for distance has 20/40  vision. 
    • Posted

Hi Sunny

Do you have Symfony set for near with -0.75 correction remaining for distance? If so how is the glare with this setting?  Also, was this by design?

Thanks

• Posted

No, my outcome is not by design. Who will design it like that? LOL. My outcome is just a f’d up outcome and I wouldn’t recommend Symfony to anyone. Many people I know have better near and far results with a monofocal. 
    • Posted

Some people propose mini monovision with Symfony with -0.5D or -0.75D.  Hence the question.  Someone just PMed me about good near and far with monofocal.  I wonder what decides the outcome.  A coworker with monofocal needs glasses for up to 5 feet viewing.
    • Posted

Soks predicting an outcome will never be an exact science.  You’ll drive yourself crazy - lol.  Best to decide if you are able to compromise the night vision issues and then decide which focal point is most important to you (believe me I can relate to your struggle as it’s like a game of would you rather and honestly neither option was ideal).

There are a few factors involved in the outcome which neither you or honestly the surgeon can fully take into account. One is astigmatism.  Even if you have very little to begin with and don’t need a toric lens the surgery itself can induce astigmatism.  That can be corrected with lasik (more so if you choose a EXOF like Symfony or a multifocal lens and you can ask your surgeon about that prior to surgery as they may be able to give you a package to include that.  But if opting for a monofocal lens they assume you’ll need glasses anyways do you will likely correct with prescription glasses.

There is also the IOL power which comes in increments of .50.  Your result may be slightly near or farsighted due to that which is why even if aiming for plano a surgeon will target 0.25 vs 0.

The IOL will move back and forth too as it settles so that too has an impact.

Lastly is how your cornea is shaped.  

All these will have an impact and can account for why someone with same lens ends up with better vision than you or I.

It’s best if you think more about what you would prefer vs not prefer and choose a good surgeon.

And then you go forward hoping for the best.  

• Posted

Sure, but if you’re designed for -.75 for distance, with Symfony, one would expect near perfect near vision. Hence my frustration. 
    • Posted

Agree and understand the frustration. 
    • Posted

Sunny have you seen an optometrist or has your opthamologist given you your exact prescription post cataract surgery.  This doesn’t make sense.
    • Posted

Yes, it doesn’t but it’s the truth. We’ve discussed in other forums. smile
    • Posted

Will have to go back and look at those.  Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi Soks - to answer your question no you can’t see distance through readers unless you get a bifocal pair of glasses where top half is plano (0D) and bottom for readers.  Most people just have readers and put them on when needed.

You may find you don’t need readers at all with Symfony.   I read newspapers and other small print just fine.   I do have prescription readers which I will dig out if I have to read a lot and lighting is dim.  But in the 7 months since 2nd surgery I can count on one hand the times I have used them.   I got those and a pair of sunglasses with no power in them (just corrected my small amount of astigmatism if 0.25 right eye and .50 left).  That was mainly my sticking it to my insurance co who would pay up to what they would have for glasses (by the way if I had lasik done that would have been covered up to that amount).  They said my IOLs were cosmetic (and I thought to myself so lasik isn’t?)

Anyways got myself 2 cute frames all paid for by the insurance!  But honestly do t use readers much but love the Coach sunglasses!  Wear those a lot especially driving.

You may find yourself being able to read fine without.  Most people outside these forums who have Symfony are similar to me.  I think people only take to the forums once a problem is encountered.  A few like us wanted to get some info prior to surgery.  

• Posted

I just had my second eye done last week.  I cannot speak for all but I do not need my glasses at all just yet.  For curiosity, I just attempted to read very fine print and could not.  Had to slightly pull away the writing but still had difficulty so I put my old cheaters (prescription).  They seemed to have done the trick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.