Ready to travel

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello everyone. I'm 5 months and 5 weeks respectively post tkrs. I need to go visit my elderly parents in NH traveling by plane. I'm doing great with my first knee, 130 degree bend, 0 extension and pain free. Just a little stiff getting up.

My second knee is doing well with 121 degree bend and 0 extension. I still have muscle pain which I take pain meds for, usually 1 a day. I'm off the cane inside but would use it in an airport.

I would like to go next week. Could anyone who has traveled within a couple of months post-op give me advice?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Deborah

Be very careful - I think you are only allowed to fly after 3 months both from an insurance and an airline perspective.  I may be wrong but they cancelled my op because I was going to fly 2 months and 3 weeks after it.

Angela

• Posted

I need to travel long haul asap but was waiting for 4 months post op.

5 weeks sounds a bit too soon?

• Posted

Extra time getting through the TSA maze is 1st. Don't bother with letters from the Dr's etc, they will still move you to one side so they can use the wand. I've had to spend anywhere from 5 to 20 mins getting through depending on the number of suspicious people like me are in line. I don't know how may hours your flight entails but you should try and walk the aisle every hour or so. Even the white post surgery hose might not be a bad idea. Big thing is DVD and avoiding anything that might suggest putting you at risk for blood clotting.
  • Posted

I would suggest a wheelchair from airport entrance to plane. Bulkhead seat and wheelchair from plane back to exit. Ice and vicadin.

Good luck and have fun.

• Posted

Sorry,, I didn't see the 5 weeks. That's really awfully soon got be flying. Have you checked this out with your surgeon. I wasn't allowed to fly until much after that. If you are going to do It y ou are going to need wheelchair and ice packs. Be sure your in-flight crew know of your situation.....good luck
    • Posted

Officially its 3 months or 4 months? I need to book a ticket to Mauritius asap but will leave until 6 weeks post op. Is this reasonable do you think? And would you aim for 3 or 4 months?

Apologies to Deborah for butting in!

• Posted

I would sure talk to thevsurgeons and get their opinions. I was never allowed to fly that soon even after a synovectomy. Age may be a determining factor as I was older. The chance of blood clots goes up exponentially after surgery and of course that can be very, very dangerous. Just get all the professional opinions you can.
    • Posted

Thanks. No I meant I would be going around late June early July which is over 4 months post op but I was wondering if it would be safe to book the ticket around 6 weeks post op after the surgeons follow up as the price and availablity of the tickets goes up the longer I leave it. I would probably be travelling business class so flat bed and easy to move around as its aisle seat.

Thanks!

• Posted

I'd think you would be fine by that time. Your 51st should clear you as the final o.k.
    • Posted

Your Dr not 51st.......this auto correct drives me crazy.
  • Posted

My surgeon cleared me to fly at my check up last week. Of course that doesn't mean he knows how it feels. Will take everyone's advice, hose, ice, pain meds, and wheelchair. OFG, I have 2, hour and a half flights with a two hour layover. I might take a zip lock bag and get some ice from the restaurant I go to for lunch. Thanks for everyone's help!
    • Posted

Those lengths of flights are about right. try keeping the leg elevated as much as possible during the lay over. Make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to Rest when you reach your destination as you will be exhausted. Hope they dontvhave a heavy schedule of getting caught up with lots of family shortly after arrival. What airport will be your laying point. Understand the weather is absolutely brutal in the N.E. Hope it improves before you get there
    • Posted

Should read...lay over point
  • Posted

Hi Deborah

I am a little confused by which country is involved in the flights.  If it is the UK you really should check your travel insurance and the airline.  Yes, you should get your surgeon's advice as well but the other two are crucial.

• Posted

Hi Angela. I will be flying in the US and my layover is in Detroit. Again, my surgeon has cleared me to fly. Just wondering if anyone else has flown by 6 or 7 weeks and how they felt during and after.
    • Posted

I hope you are staying on the same airline. If you arents, make sure you have ground wheel chair transportation. That can be a long hike when changing planes.
    • Posted

Travelled after knee replacement to Europe from Canada.  Take cane, ask for wheelchair and/or golf cart to change airlines etc.  Airport walking us horrendous and you will have a case to carry.  You will still be tired out after surgery.  And yes, horrible support hose will add safety to you re blood clots.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.