Really bad anxiety :/ What are your stories and self management?

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past 11 months I've suffered from health anxiety, during my early stages I used to self diagnose myself a lot and it went away for a quite a few months and I started doing it again recently. I have convinced myself that I have lung or oral cancer, and I dont smoke but I did for a year and stopped. I smoke a cigarrete at least twice a month when Im out with my friends (A majoirty of them are smokers). I've gotten at least 3 mouth ulcers in the past month and they are never that common for me, however I think that 2 of them were from me biting my lip. The 3rd one is under my tongue and I've never had that before so I searched it up and on the nhs website it states that mouth ulcers caused by mouth cancer are usually under the tongue and that made me panic, now I have to wait to see my dentist to check it up (I do hope its nothing) and I suffer from acid reflux too and have had this persistent cough for quite a while and I have managed to link that to lung cancer as it is a sympton of if.

How do you manage your anxiety? I've been referred to group therapy before but I avoided that during my early stages, but I feel as if it will help me somehow.  

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Therapy really is the best way to help resolve issues. Group therapy isn't for everyone but it can work very well. Stick to therapy, stay away from google ,-there's really no other advice I could give
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I always have mouth ulcers under my tongue, probably from stress actually! I've had them for years and I know I don't have cancer because I recently had blood tests. So don't worry about that.

As for acid reflux, this can be caused by anxiety and all the changes that happen in your gut when you are stressed (your stomach weeps with you). The cough could also be a nervous habit that you have formed, I know that sometimes when I am anxious I cough and it turns into a proper cough if I keep doing it.

CBT is a good way of learning to relax and face your fears in order to overcome them and change your outlook permanently. I often think to myself, ''i felt like this before, nothing bad happened, I'm still here. I had good times and I'll have them again!'' Let it pass.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

This has made my day better, thank you for your reassurance. Im starting group therapy soon to manage my habits but not sure if it will be very effective 😩
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It seems that you are still in very early stages of anxiety. This is the best time to beat it. First of all as others freinds have said, keep away from google. Mouth ulcers are very common and there is no rule that you cannot get them for the first time now. See, as you mentioned you suffer from acid reflux, that might be the cause of your ulcers. The main cause of mouth ulcers is indigestion. Stress also affects your digestion system. May be for the first time you bit your lip and then got ulcer. Then you stressed yourself that you have a serious diseases. This led to another ulcer. And now the more you stress over it, the worse your anxiety will be. The good thing you did is that you consulted a docter. Now just wait for his reply which I am sure that will be normal, and then stop thinking about it.

Also if it might help, I suffer from mouth ulcers a lot. Not regularly but they can cone any time. Sometimes they are so bad that I can't even talk. But I never worry about them and they go away themselves or I take some medicine to help. But never stress over them.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up