Really bad health anxiety after my sons death

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a little bit of re assurance really or any one who has been through something similar..

I started suffering really bad from health anxiety since January last year. I have a boat load of physical symptoms - the main one being chest pain and left arm pain. I have a number of tests done (ECG, chest X-ray, blood tests) and everything was normal. Just as my anxiety started to drift away my 15 month old son died suddenly (December 2014 so only 6-7 weeks ago) since then I am suffering with horrendous pains in my chest, arm and back.. Physical activity seems to bring it on more but I don't know if that's cos it's in my head (I am so scared of heart problems such as heart attack).. I don't know where to start with getting my self better.. Just wondered if this is normal after what has happened or if I should seek further medical advice - I've been to see my gp but he just says it's all to do with what has happened - is this true?

Thanks in advance. Any help what so ever is much appreciated x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Wow... Gp sounds brill, 😮 did they not send you for counselling?? Because I would say you have a multi factor of thing s going on, but anxiety can manifest physically, stress, grief, all of the above, I'm truly sorry for your loss, I can't even begin to imagine, but you should go and speak to someone, before it all builds up even more x
  • Posted

Really feel for you along with your loss u have this horrible illness to deal with I suffer with GAD health anxiety social anxiety and agrophobia I have all the physical symptoms including chest pains stomach issues weak shaky legs arms dizziness sight problems it's horrid been on several AD none seem to work decided to go natural 5htp St johns wort and Rhodiola Rosea just hope it works husbands booked a suprise holiday abroad in July I found out now I'm absolutely dreading it I can't function in the UK how the hell will I function over there my anxiety is a little different from yours I haven't lost anyone but when my 18 year old autistic son ran off with a 43 year old woman who's on the run for GBH with intent I worry day in day out I have a younger son who I look after but I cannot barely function this is one of the hardest illnesses we have to deal with I sincerely feel for you take care x
  • Posted

I am so sorry for everything that you've been through! Dealing with the loss of your son can't be easy, I can't imagine what you are going through!

Your GP also sounds useless! But don't let that stop you. There are many services out there like counselling, therapy, medication. You don't have to sit around and have to put up with health anxiety as well as grief.

Xx

• Posted

Dear Charlotte, I am so terribly sorry to hear of your desperately sad loss of your baby son, I cannot even begin to imagine the grief you must be feeling...... have you been offered bereavement counselling ? You really need specific help to help you begin to deal with this....

Ask your GP if you can have a mild tranquilizer and antidepressant to help maybe a little In the meantime... have you close friends and family who you can talk to freely about you anxiety and hurt..... take everything easy, you need to heal and you may need to talk a great deal.... once again, I am so so sorry, I wish for you to see a light at the end of the tunnel... in my thoughts and prayers... big hugs. DEIRDRE xxx

• Posted

Dear Charlotte, I am so terribly sorry to hear of your desperately sad loss of your baby son, I cannot even begin to imagine the grief you must be feeling...... have you been offered bereavement counselling ? You really need specific help to help you begin to deal with this....

Ask your GP if you can have a mild tranquilizer and antidepressant to help maybe a little In the meantime... have you close friends and family who you can talk to freely about you anxiety and hurt..... take everything easy, you need to heal and you may need to talk a great deal.... once again, I am so so sorry, I wish for you to see a light at the end of the tunnel... in my thoughts and prayers... big hugs. DEIRDRE xxx

• Posted

Dear Charlotte,

I can relate to all you say, very similiar circumstances, history of coping with anxiety then losing a child and finding the anxiety symptoms magnified and being unable to cope with them, spending my day thinking about the things I can't do incase it brings on further pain. I just so appreciate all that you have written, don't accept substandard treatment from your GP, change practice if the one you have won't listen/help.

Jen x

• Posted

Just lost me mum and am in the same boat. Sorry for your loss. I also have these strange pains, cant sleep eat horribly and they just throw stuff at me that makes me worse. Get a short term benzo for your anxiety until you can get through thisKen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.