Really bad knee pain after tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi friends (I feel like you are now!) I'm now 3 weeks 4 days and was seeing slight improvements in mobility every day. However yesterday I had ab real big step backwards and I don't know why. I have been doing my exercise and have stated using an mini cycle twice as day.also been out for all couple of short walks. But suddenly I got this terrible pain in the middle of my new knee that hurts like hell! The only way I can ease it is to get off of it. Hurts since to stand on it. I'm icing and massaging it. is it because I've done to much or is it because I'm not doing enough to build the muscle back up! I'm so confused. Only seenot physio once but going again this Thurs. Anyone else had this problem? X

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am now 12 weeks post op and it seems that every week brings a different twinge or pain - some really intense - but on the whole, these settle. I am told that this is all part of the healing process as there are muscles and nerves that have been cut through that will take a fair few months to heal. So patience is what's needed.

• Posted

Hi Jayne

It is very common to have sudden pains I had them all the time. However if it gets worse or doesnt settle get on to the doc as it could be a bleed or something else. If the swelling increases or it gets hot seek help. Your physio will probably advise you also they are pretty good. I had these all the time it should ease by itself. I eased up on the exercises and it got better. 3 weeks is still early dont try to do to much. sometimes your body tells you to slow down!

• Posted

Hi Sally I think you are so right I think we all tend to push our bodies a little too hard. We must remember these muscles need to rest sometimes and be allowed to heal on their own time take care
  • Posted

I am 10 weeks post op and not nearly as mobile as you are at 3 weeks. Have you been told you can use a cycle or walk as much?? I think you could ring your doctor and tell them. Don't suffer this pain without asking advice. I know everyone heals at a different rate and as I have said before on this site, I thought I was doing something terribly wrong because I was not as mobile as others. But I now know I am doing ok

I know my doctor said not to do too much too quickly. 

I hope this helps. I know you are ging to get others helping you on this wonderful site

Jenny

• Posted

Hi. Yes the physio said as long as my legs could stretch out then pedaling was fine. But I am thinking that I overdid it and maybe did to much So easeing up and icing and gentle movements that I hope will settle it back down.
  • Posted

Hi Jayne, I'm afraid this is typical of what happens when you think you are on the mend. I think perhaps leave excersise off for a few days and see if this helps. I am getting setbacks still at 6 months. It all seems part and parcel of the op. take care
    • Posted

Hello Tucks. How are you doing? I am also at 6 months and struggling a bit. My bend is not the greatest, about 100 but I can straighten it no problem.  my main concern at the moment is that I still have quite a bit of pain mostly on the top of the knee, when sitting down.  I can feel the metal pushing against the front of the kneecap - it's horrible. I still exercise especially the peddle bike, but this constricting pain is driving me mad!!  Anyway enough complaining, I hope you are getting on ok and that you are now pleased that you had it done.  Stay strong my friend. Xx
    • Posted

Hi ruby, well like you I am still getting pain in knee area which is worse when sitting. I have a patch of rough skin on the right side of the knee which gets hot and quite red. GP says its a slight infection so has given me steroid cream, I had been using bio oil but he has said a big no to this. Don't like the sound of that metal ruby, it must be getting you down. I did expect more at 6months but its not happening is it? I'm afraid I still do regret having the op all this emotional stuff that goes with it only adds to my conviction. I just am not the same me. Dr says I will get there and why am I feelling so stressed and down???  Gave me a new little tablet to help with my anxiety. I took 2last night as he advised, couldn't wake myself up this morning, stumbled out of bed at 12/30. So they are a light relaxant? I don't think so. I am still half asleep and its nearly 5. Won't be taking anymore!, well my freind that's my moan for the day, lovely to speak with you , take care
    • Posted

Oh Tucks you poor soul. It's all very well giving out pills to help you but these sound awful. Sounds like your doctor is about as sympathetic as my consultant. I saw him last week and he said that I was doing "marvellously"!!

I limped in and limped out in less than 5 mins.  I just want to be me again and try to forget this little alien in my leg. I know how you feel as I feel like I am no longer a very confident person. I too expected more by now but hey oh maybe I have to give it more time. I don't blame you for not taking any more of those knock out pills. Well my love I hope you feel better soon and that we will be kicking up our heel (and knees!) by the summer. Take care sweetheart xx

• Posted

You are so right ruby. Yesterday Dr  seemed absolute non plussed , however the surgery did phone me to say I have a water infection. GPs seem to spend more time looking up health on the computer than actually listening to what your telling them. Never mind my freind hopefully the spring will put a spring back in our steps. Take care love tucks xx
  • Posted

Hi Jayne I agree with everyone I think you are doing too much too soon.  I am 10 weeks and cycling for lasts three weeks.  You should be taking things very slowly I think at the stage.   If you take it slowly you will will arrive at the same place as others.  Are.  You need to heal by getting enough sleep and slowly exercising.   My physio certainly wouldn't have suggested cycling at three weeks.  If you overdo things it just sets you back as has been proved by a few people this has happened to on this site.  
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply and yes I think you are totally right. Been resting it today with just gentle movements and it seems to have calmed down a bit. Yesterday was to much and I think the more I seemed to do the more I tried to do and it's to soon for that. Thank you so much for reminding me I can't run before I can walk. All the best to you x
  • Posted

So glad you feel better today Jayne.   It's frustrating I know when you want to get back to normal quickly.  I can only say what works for me.  I still get tired and I used to worr shout where I wac compared to others but now realise we are all different and heal differently.  At the stage I am at now my my tendons are waking up and the pain has changed.   This will be the same for you.   I can only say I so glad I took things easy and rested quite a lot.  Today I have walked miles with a stick, which I hope to dump very soon, when I feel that the leg is strong enough.  My physio I know will be intense tomorrow as they have set me up a programme but as I say I am a bit further down the line.  At three weeks I remember I wished I hadn't had it done!  I am glad I did though. I wish you well 
    • Posted

What a lovely message. Thank you so much. This afternoon I just felt so down in the dumps that I wished I had never put myself through this! I have rested to day I did have a small attempt at my exercises but it hurt more than usual and my knee appears very swollen. So paying the price for pushing it yesterday. I'm fretting also because I worry about getting back to work. But then worry is mY middle name! It's highs and lows physically and mentally. Your message has picked me up. I really need to be more patient . Thank you you are so thoughtful. Good luck with your next stage. X
    • Posted

Isn't it amazing how much we have to learn on our own. Due to a fall I am having to go through therapy again and this is my 4th time over the 12/year history. Two days ago my leg was absolutely miserable...... Pain, immobility, swelling etc. Friday I did all the exercises I can do at home (a couple require professional equipment). Yesterday morning I got up and felt like I had a new leg. Great mobility, minimal pain and better overall strength. This morning the same. I had an early morning appointment with my infectious disease doc at the university med center which is a 30 min drive and a good 100 yard walk from the parking garage. All went very well and the leg preformed very well considering the shape it's in. So you never know when the sun will suddenly shine. As has been noted many times, surgeons cut, sew and leave......then the body is left to itself to mend. As the old saying goes, Doctors have a unique way of hiding mistakes, they bury them.

Stay with the program, get all the rest you can, drink lots of water for the sake of hydration and have faith that tomorrow will be a better day, because one of these tomorrows will be your turning loint

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.