Really bad mood swings

Posted , 14 users are following.

Does anyone else feel like they're going mad.  Feel okay for a while then it takes one silly thing and I completely loose my rag.  Really feel like I am all over the place.  I am 48 think I am peri menopausal, have started taking high dosage of vitamin B6.  Doing yoga and a bit of skipping.  My moods are all over the place, I am really forgetful and tearful and stressed.  Feel quite alone with it all.

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

To all of you ladies that have replied, I thank you very much, I feel in some small way better knowing I'm not a complete nut job.  So it is my intention to cut down the sugar and cut out the alcohol, eat more regularly, carry on with the yoga and hope my husband forgives the days when I use him as a verbal punchbag -its all out of my mouth before I can stop myself.  I will take the advice from your many posts and add the magnesium to my Vitamin B6 and have a mooch around for other non chemical things to help along.  The yoga was good this morning an hour and half of not thinking until the end and felt a bit teary.  So thank you all again, all the advice and just the comments were really uplifting.
  • Posted

Hi Anne. I myself get much comfort knowing we are not going through this roller coaster alone. I'm sure we will look back at this low point in our life one day and laugh!!😄
  • Posted

Hi Anne 

first of all your not alone your not going mad, and most of us unfortunate ones have been or are going through exactly the same thing, I am now post meno the anger has gone, the suicide thoughts are easing and the tears, the all day sweating and all nightsweating panic attacks anxiety, you name it I had it, I take some lovely ADs called sertraline, I can't take hrt my body rejects it,  I take menopace multi vitamins and  flaxseed, I can slowly feel myself at certain times of the month coming back to normal, it's been very difficult and very frightening at times, I could not believe that something so natural for women can cause such severe symptoms.  

My thoughts are with you and hope you find relief soon. 😊

• Posted

Thanks for that, am doing a bit more research and will continue to hope that it all gets better and I hope you continue getting through your journey,

• Posted

Hi, I felt like I was going mad, only sleeping for 3-4 hours a night. Since Christmas I have been taking sage tablets to control the hot flushes, a menopause multi vitamin and avena sativa drops at night to help me relax. I still get the odd anxious moment, but not as bad. And I'm sleeping 7 hours a night again. I've also quit caffeine after 3.30pm. So far I'm feeling more like myself.
    • Posted

What is the menopause multivitamin and will that vitamin help with the tiredness please let me know thank you
    • Posted

I tried a female complex from the health shop, but to be honest at £23 a month I couldn't afford it with the sage and avena sativa. My multivitamin is just a tesco one. I was constantly tired as I was only getting a few hours sleep, I don't think it's necessarily the multi vitamin, but the combination that's helped. Sage has reduced my flushes to about one a wk, so less waking from being hot, avena sativa is relaxing me to help me stay asleep and reduce the anxiousness. And no caffeine is helping too. Hope that answers your question. 
    • Posted

Susan, I know exactly what Julie means about the costs of these things. If we bought everything we needs just to feel halfway human, it'd cost us a bomb!

For anyone interested, I've been taking Menopace Original which I don't find anywhere near out of the way, price-wise.  And, to make me keep buying them, I found them for '3for2' at Superdrug (£8-odd) or '3 for £10 in Asda.

If only everything else that benefitted me in life was that cheapsmile!

• Posted

Thank goodness I have found this forum. After having irregular periods since 2011 (at age of 41) and having been very regular up to that point, I just thought "well this sucks" now I am 44 and on day 16 of a very light but annoying period I think I am perimenopausal! In a way it is a relief to find others feeling the same as me. And also a relief to know that the last few years of feeling like a physco from hell at times, there seems to be a reason for it.  I just can't seem to concentrate on anything anymore. I can't even read a book to the end now, I just have the attention span of a gnat. I stress out so quickly that my teen age children run for their rooms. the only way I can describe it is I feel totally overwhelmed and scared and miserable. At times I just want to go to bed and cry. I just want to say thank you all for your posts. I am not crazy and if anyone has any recommendations of the next step I can take on this discovery I would be grateful. Anne you are not alone or crazy x
    • Posted

Thanks for your thoughts as well, have decided to order myself some sage tablets, because apparently they are very good for the memory (according to the Romans and Greeks!), so will do that, also thought my get some wheatgrass in powder (called sunshine in a bag!!) and see if that cheers me up.  Two days without chocolate and sweets and feeling that as well but accordingly to someone I spoke to sugar and alcohol aggravate the symptoms so have decided (foolishly or not) to try and do without for a bit and eat small and often to see if that helps also.  The concentration thing is a real bugger especially at work (just in a new job 4 months along) don't want to make an indiot of myself self.  So will let you know as I go along how I feel with all the supplements/minerals and lack of alcohol and chocolate goes.  But thanks for posting you too are not alone.

• Posted

Hi Anne, if you have a health shop near you then may have a leaflet printed by a Vogel on the menopause, if gives you a list of supplements suitable for each part that's proving difficult. I found it really helpful. 
  • Posted

Thought I would do an update as to where I am with the mood swings. I have been taking a high dose of Vitamin B6 and also sage tablets and have noticed an improvement in how I have been. The fogginess of the head appears to have dissipated a fair bit and fatigure also gone down. The mood swings have certainly decreased and feel a lot better. But certainly noticed that if I don't eat/drink regularly it really exacerbates all the symptoms again, have cut down on sugar (but not out completely - have to have something to look forward to), cut down alcohol (wasn't a mad drinker anyways) and increased my exercise, just more walking really but has made a difference. I still have very painful heavy periods and cramps though - any suggestions on that. I have noticed that a few take magnesium supplements - what would they be for?
    • Posted

Magnesium is known to relax muscles and also helps some people relax in general if they are lacking it. I take it before bedtime and it helps me to fall and stay asleep pretty well. When my muscles are really sore, I soak in Epsom Salt bath which is magnesium as well. 

Glad to hear things are improving for you!

Annie

• Posted

I take Magnesium (250mg one a day at bedtime) and feel these have alleviated my terrible insomnia (oh the joy of sleeping all night!) and also helped with constipation (softer stools) This is some rough ride, though. Greater public awareness would be a good thing.
    • Posted

Hiya

Thats great news.  Good ol' JayneeJay posted a great article about B6.

Been and bought up half of Holland & Barratts today: Kelp for my hair falling out and brittle nails; 5HTP to see if it helps my moods; Primrose Oil....can't even remember what that's for, but read it on herelol(I'm on this forum daily!!); and some Acidophillus for my gut. 

Christ!  its like a whole new shopping experience these days!

I completely know what you mean about not eating regularly:  I found I felt really weird, almost like a glycemic moment, shaky and ratty. 

Not a fan of sugar although do eat chocs,; booze has totally lost its appeal (until I'm watching a gig, then I do like to drink...and some!).

Can't give you a definitive solution to the cramps (but can give you my total sympathysad), but I find my ol' mate my wheat-filled heat pad (put in microwave) works a treat.  Failing that, a hot water bottle would do for me.

Magnesium: take in a general Menopace vit/min supplement to ease muscles/aching legs. Nice. 

Did try seperately in a bid to help with constipation. Honestly, I am The Woman with the Cast Iron Gut - don't work that much for me, but be warned.....it works very well for otherslol!!

Sx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.