Really bad reaction to Mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me...

I was put on 30mg of mirtazapine and took it for a week alone with 2mg of an anti-psychotic called rispiridone. I was told I was only mildly depressed. At first I felt brilliant but then a week into my treatment I developed anxiety so bad that I can's focus on anything, can't keep still, can't relax and have constant panic attacks or onsets of panic attacks for no reason. I came off mitazepine immediately because this scared me so much and then came off the anti-psychotic a few days later as my symptoms were worsening. I've now been off them for 5 days but still feel terrible. I can't even sleep properly due to then anxiety. I've tried massages, rescue remedy, everything I just feel so uncomfortable. I've never felt anything like this before and desperately want it to go away. Could the medicine really have such a bad effect after only taking it for a week? I'm very underweight and was wondering if the dose was too strong for me?

Any advice on when I'll start to feel like my old self again will be greatly appreciated. I just want to feel like I did before taking the mecicine because I felt 100 times better than I do now.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear of the bad time you are having. A few years back I was given the same combination. M for depression and I guess R for anxiety though the doctor never actually told me that. Apparently a common side effect of R is anxiety, aggitation or restlessness - bizarre considering that is what its suppose to help. I doubt its the M causing your problems. Its best to consult your doctor as soon as you can. Have you tried any Valerian? Its a herb which is very good for calming anxiety. Can be purchased in a tea form which works very quick or a tablet (Kalms for example). Hang in there - you will feel well again.
  • Posted

hi . why do you get ass heads like tony come on and give really lame advice . they have never experienced constant anxiety . i have had the exact combination of mirtazapine and risperidone and the exact experience . Ask your doc for some valium . not valirian
  • Posted

hi robert

i know what your saying i suffer from real bad panics and depression and also take mirt 30 g at night and ven in the morning i had to have 2 months off work and been in a real mess over it but i am starting to get better and move on but i think thats all part of this illness as you see in many experiences people are only interested in there illness and people write i got this wrong and that wrong and dont really care about what other are saying but i dont think he being a smart guy just that with any illness some people can just have a chat with a friend and there better some need dr and some poor people end up in hospital with it or kill then selfs over it

we all suffer in different way and i know we all think we got it worst than other people i know i do

i dont want to piss anyone off but can u see what i am saying

cheers

stefen

• Posted

I have been put on mirts for depression, my father died, mother with cancer and brother seriously ill with possible liver failiure, all within last year!

I do not agree with previous readers, we all suffer with things in our own way and they are all serious to us, please do not be-little other people for offering encouragement cos that can be deemed as prejedice....ie: my ilness is worse the your illness etc...everybody has a story to tell and it is only fair to listen, if you don't and make comments like previous one then people are likely to top themself. come on people lets care about all and speak/write the way we expect others to do so with us. take care. x

• Posted

Hi there...im on the same medication u were pescribed and I'm doing fine...however before that I was taking sertraline....so when they changed the antidepressant to mirtazapine is was a lower dosage and I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms... Cold sweats...my muscles hurt....bad headakes....and couldn't think properly....so what you were experiencing could have been caused by the change in medication....but also it takes some time for the medication to kick in and have the right effect.....so maybe if u waited a bit longer to come off it it would have worked.....but I think you were right to stop taking it because these medications are addictive and doctors pescribe them far to easily....I hope things will get better for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.