really dont understand anxiety :(

Posted , 12 users are following.

Well as it is for the past year and half ive been having gastro trouble gerd. And its horrible well thats what my doc puts my symptoms down to anyway. Constantly feeling sick acid build up gurgling in my chest especially at night shortness of breath all quite scary at times. I take omerprozole and tbf i think it does nothing for me. But today i had an ambulance out. only for them to say it was a panic attack. Felt like a bloody heart attck. I just want to no if those symptoms relate or atleast cause anyone else panic attacks. My illness can cause my axiety i suppose. but can axiety be causeing my gerd acid gastro trouble. Like im stuck going in circles sad

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have Gerd/Gastritis and have the same problem with anxiety. I’ve been dealing with this for several months.  The medications don’t seem to work either.  I’ve tried everything with no real results.  The PPI’s & H2 Blockers.  Acupuncture has helped some with the pain and anxiety.  That’s the only thing I’ve found that helps yet.   Thinking of going to a Naturopath to see if they might be able to help.

• Posted

Be calm! Anxiety can cause gerd and gerd can cause anxiety! Been through it! I had to stick to the diet they put you on! Omeprazole took 2 months to start to work for me! Had barium swallow then endoscopy! The fear and tired of living like this is depressing! But it does get better! I did have something I shouldn't the other night and WHAM I was sick! I am thinking it's like having an allergy you can never go back to what you once ate! Statistically almost everyone has some form of digestive issues! It will get better. When I was on the omeprazole later day I would take a pepsid as a precaution! Shortness of breath was the worst part! Hang in there, best wishes

• Posted

Btw getting a massage works wonders! It relaxes you and helps with the anxiety!
    • Posted

Lol i do myself no favors because i often stress its not anxiety and maybe something else. I can handle most part of it its just the late night gurgling and brethlessness that scares me sometimes
    • Posted

And allso its never not with me its like 24/7. only less hassle on certain days i never have good days. i just have bad and worse days is that normal. I can wake up and its off asoon as i open my eyes sad
    • Posted

I have suffered from Gerd for over 2 years now and although the ppis appear to help they are not going to cure it. A good diet and low anxiety levels are the only way forward. I have to admit I do not like the shortness of breath  especially when it happens in the middle of the night. 

all the best

Robin

• Posted

I no how you feel Chris my main thing is burning throat worst in the afternoon because in my job im bending down a lot..trying anything anyone can recommend..
  • Posted

This sounds awful Chris though your not the only one. I havent been diagnosed with anything apart from hiatus hernia and previous problems with h pylori. All your symptoms sound so alike to mine. Ive had the chest pain, struggling to clear my throat (esp after food or lying down) and yeah the shortness of breath and many others esp lack of sleep! Its scary theres some nights ive even thought am i going to wake up!! Ive had a lot of stress esp last few years and im sure thats had a part to play in it. I try my best now not stress at all though its depressing the constant struggle. You dont know what your getting from one day to the next. I take lansoprazole and used to take omeprazole but im never sure either if they help that much. The more i see on here people are saying you can get over it i really hope so! Ive changed diet,sleeping,cut down alcohol(though its hard!) probiotic youghurts etc all things help but would like to live a normal life again. Im waiting on ultrasound results and to see gastroenterologist but not holding out for much the now i have chest pains and stomach going as i write this. I hope you improve soon.
    • Posted

Hi 

Chest discomfit and pressure and mock asthma like symptoms are common in people with Gerd.

My advice would be to practice deep breathing exercises where you breathe from you belly not your chest. Relax and breathe deeply and slowly and you will get relief and hopefully manage your anxiety levels as well. You most like will not have much luck managing the gerd symptoms until you get your hernia repaied. Whenever you get a hiatal hernia you most often will get gerd because you’ve lost your acid barrier which needs to be restored. Visit a gastroenterologist and get the four test for gerd and get a recommendation for a espogeal thoracic surgeon and discuss your options. Everything else other than surgery is only a bandaide, surgery can be a cure.

good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help. Everything you are telling me makes so much sense and is pretty much tge same as ive read up on. Im currently awaiting appointment with gastroenterologist and had decided myself i was going to ask for op to fix hiatal hernia. Im up and down from one day to the next so any help is really appreciated and will try those breathing exercises. Im just off to get my results from ultrasound not that im expecting much. I really came on this forum as i was getting fed up with gps giving me all the wrong info and medication. Once again thank you and i'll post when i have any advances.

Regards

• Posted

Hi

your welcome. Here are afew more things that will likely help. Raise the head of your bed 6” to 8”, even stameche acid can’t overcome gravity. Eat smaller meals, eat slowly and chew your food completely. Don’t eat friend foods, don’t eat spicy food, don’t eat onions or garlic. The experts say don’t eat tomatoes in any form but they don’t cause me trouble. Also don’t drink carbonated beverages often. 

Go to a heath food or vitamin store and purchase something like Apex Energetics Gastroenterologist - ULC or something similar that will coat your esophagus and stomach and take 30 minutes before you eat and at bedtime. If you keep having problems you can mix 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda into 4ozs water up to twice a day. Finally purchase DGL licorice extract, Aloe Vera Gels and slippery elm to soothe and coat your esophagus and stomach. Be diligent with what you eat and drink stick to foods that cause the least problems for you and don’t get discouraged.

• Posted

that should have read fried foods and Gastro-ULC. I dislike auto correct.
  • Posted

I have been dealing with the same thing for the past year. All my life almost no doctor visits. All of a sudden an entire year spent in, and out of doctors, and still not done.

It can be very frustrating when they give you that look, or when it seems that because they cannot physically see the results of the pain you are feeling. Then comes the questioning glances as if maybe you are a little hypochondriacal. 

Well, in my case they are not totally wrong. I have the tendency to overthink, and seriously stress over little things. That being said, I know the pain I am feeling is real, at least to me.

But, as other people are saying here, I am finding the doctors are not wrong when they say that stress, and anxiety can create some serious health problems.

I have found that getting a very honest hold of my diet, exercising at least as much as my health will allow, breathing exercises, and meditation have gone a long way to helping at least bring the symptoms under control. Then when I add to all of the above getting a firm grip on my thoughts rather than letting my imagination run away with me, I definitely am more functional. The fear, and anxiety makes an already painful situation much worse.

Also, riding the Google search pony on a regular basis, big no no for me. This turns anxiety into an addiction, and almost an art form. It is a hard habit for me to break, but man alive, if I don't stop every freckle or bump becomes a life threatening disease.

I think it is wise to talk with the Doctor, find out the test that need to be done, get the information, get a good grip on diet, and life choices, keep the stress to bare minimum, and get down the business of healing.

• Posted

Could not have put it better, well done Michael. Hopefully your comments will give many of us some confirmation that we can cope with this.

All the best

Robin

• Posted

Hi robtheprint

It may seem a very strange thing that knowing you are not alone can have some comfort to it, but it does. Though it may not be so comforting to know that so many are suffering the same issues, at least you know your not crazy.

But I think the best part is having the resources of so many experiences, and then realizing that even if modern medicine cannot solve this, that many are doing so with diet, and lifestyle choices. That to me is the best part, especially when you realize that it was those two things that very likely got me in the condition to begin with.

I joined this group because it is nice to know that you can talk to others who know what you are dealing with.

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.