Really sad and feeling extremely detached!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive been taking celexa 10mg for about 3 weeks now for my cfs and anxiety. I have a post from a while ago talking about all if the side effects i was having. Some of the side effects have lifted since then. For instance, I dont really get the head/body burning and tingling anymore. I still occasionally get the pressure in my head and i definately still get tension in my neck area. After the 2 week mark it started to get better and i was noticeably more positive and motivated go move around and do more things, but i still didnt feel completely back to normal. Thats pretty much how ive been feeling. Ever since ive been taking the 10mg ive been feeling extremely depersonalized/derealization and just a general feeling of detachment? It makes me feel so doomed sometimes because i just want to feel normal. If its really bad, my vision will get weird and dream like but when its more moderate (which is everyday) it just gives me this weird feeling of not being in my body. Like i know that i live in my house and on earth but i just cant shake this horrible feeling and its really terrifying because i dont feel like myself. I am doing a WHOLE lot better than when i first started but i really just need for this feeling to go away. Ive been doing the whole ignoring and excepting technique but sometimes it just really bugs me that i dont really feel like me. Sometimes when i get like this i just feel so stuck like im not even human. Any tips on it and how to reduce getting such dreadful/negative feelings?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

yes I know what it feels like. I’ve had it many times before. Here are some things I learned in counseling about helping depersonalization to diminish or go away.

1. Read Aloud. this is a great way to focus the mind away from the negative thoughts that are intrusive with the depersonalization . it keeps your brain really busy analyzing the meaning of words etc.
    2. Stop taking in caffeine which can increase anxiety levels. It also affects your sleep patterns. You can resume drinking caffeinated coffee once you feel better
    3. Listen to music and podcasts. this occupies your mind. Pick out some that you like and keep them with you at all times. Depersonalization gets worse when your mind is idle. Use them frequently
    4. get up early. when you get up early your body will naturally start to get tired and slow down at the right time in the evening. Establishing a healthy sleeping pattern helps to alleviate depersonalization. Sleep loss and bad dreams are frequently reported with depersonalization. If you get up earlier in the morning you won’t have the negative thoughts as you lay around in bed. Get up, shower, and exercise.
    5. Go to bed early go to bed when you feel tired don’t stay up watching TV. This helps create a healthy sleeping pattern which is important to anxiety reduction and getting over the depersonalization.
    6. Do things that you enjoy. Fill your time with positive activities. Exercise, learn a language, have a hobby.
    7. Dont overreact. You may have good and bad days. But don’t over react to either. Just go on with your day as if it didn’t bother you. That communicates to your brain that the anxious feelings are not important. That helps turn off the feelings of anxiety and depersonalization.
    8. Stay social. Spending some time with your family and friends keep your mind occupied with good positive thoughts.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!

• Posted

Thank you so much!! I'll definitely give these a try

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.