Really struggling need support

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone had blips even being on Cit for 6 months?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

Hi Lori, I have been on CIT for a few years now. I did suffer blips even at six months but they got less intense and shorter as time went on. I think the best thing for me was to learn not to panic when the blips happened (one of the hardest things). I used to wake up with that feeling that the anxiety etc was rearing its ugly head again but say to myself its ok, keep going, its only a blip i'm not going back to square one (which we all think) and just take it each day at a time. It will go again, just try not to fight it! Aknowledge it but try not to be frightened and feed it or else it will prolongue everthing. The easiest thing in the World to tell someone but I know how hard it is. I did lots of things to try and help me cope. Music really helped me to distract my thoughts, writing things down and my major break through was learning how to meditate. I haven't had any blips for a couple of years now, I've got a new job and done lots of things that would have seriously put me out of my comfort zone and kicked my anxiety off but I've been fine. I know it's part of me as a person but the citalopram has been great for me. I started on 10mg, then went on to 20mg and eventually ended up on 40mg. Over the last year I've weaned back down to 20mg and am happy to stay at this dosage. You are not alone in this, theres so many of us that have been and continue to be on this journey. I found this site a great support when things were really rough so don't forget theres lots of us to support you. You may feel like a weak person right now because of the blip but you are stronger than you realise. Keep going my lovely.

• Posted

Thank you Sarah,

I appreciate you taking the time to ease my mind some. Great days and bad days, Anxiety is so up and down, just two days ago all day I struggled with the anxious and low mood, but that evening went out with friends and felt calm relaxed and happy, and then yesterday, still stuck in the blip now for 8 days.

I've been on Zoloft, went off after many years b/c I thought I didn't need them anymore, then went on Paxil for 6 months and wasn't where I wanted to be so switch right to Cit, I find myself researching all day long looking for answers to get rid of it probably makes it worst, but it's hard when it consumes you so much.

Thanks again Sarah, I'm not giving up on recovery, I think seeing people's post saying they recovered at 3 months and 6 months makes me think I won't get there since I'm at 6 months.

I want to help others when I get to the recovery stage, as so many as been so supportive.

• Posted

yes i am my 11th month 2nd time around and i am just getting over a blip although its awful u do get through it x

• Posted

Yeah i am coming up to 6 months now, are you ok?

• Posted

Hi Annabonana,

Yes I'll be okay, just be a blip as I expected, I have good days and some good weeks, but anxiety rears it ulgy head way to much for me- I'm at 6 months tomorrow and just wanted to be recovered by now, I'm not giving up on Cit, I'm at 25 mg, and along with anxiety and low mood, I'm extremely tired even though I have no issues sleeping at night.

I wish you the best on your recovery. I know I will come out of this blip soon. They can last 2 to 14 days.

• Posted

I have similar, i guess how i manage (which may or may not help) is just accepting the blip, accepting that today might not be the day you are able to be a 'normal' member of society, today might not be the day i can leave the house, or do some washing, or make myself a cup of tea without the struggle and that is OKAY. Just take it one step at a time.

Ive found similar with the tiredness; i think perhaps the sleep at night for me anyways is not so good quality - im dreaming alot more.

I have come to a bit of a stalemate with the drugs - they seem to perk me up after two months, now it seems a bit flat again. I will say, recovery can be a very very long process; and sometimes it takes more then drugs. Are you trying therapy?

• Posted

Lori hang in there. It does get better. Keep positive. Sarah said it very well.

Will

• Posted

Hi Lori, it will pass. Also, try to augment the anti ds with other things.

Eg vitamin d, vitamin b complex, meditation, exercise, relaxation. You may well already be doing this ๐Ÿ˜Š

I have had a really tough time in December, on 10mg, and I think it's down to the daylight or lack of. I've been on 10mg 5 months now.

I have been using a SAD lamp for the past 5 days, and taking vitamin d, and my mood has shifted completely. I'm actually happy.

And a final on e to remember is that alcohol can affect people differently on these meds. I tried to have a few drinks but I find it seems to curb the effectiveness of the anti depressant, so am temporarily tee total.

You'll be okay, you really will.

• Posted

Hi Lori

I sympathize with you and cannot really add to the good advice you've had here, but just so you know you are not alone feeling this way. The time of year doesn't help either. Hope you feel better soon๐Ÿ˜Š

• Posted

HI LORI

Sarah said it very well. i just wanted to reiterate that you need to let the anxiety just be,try and let it wash over you.Say to yourself Ok its here again but it will pass they are just sensations,they will pass. This kind of thinking reduces the fear.ONCE YOU REDUCE THE FEAR the bad days will be more bearable.

Eventually I got down to evening and morning anxiety ,then after about three months just morning anxiety,which is always the last to go.IT took me six months for full recovery but then it just went.

i took diazepan at night to help me get through the night but then weaned myself off and now take magnesium and occasionally nytol.

PATIENCE AND PERSISTENCE is the key but you will get better,you are still on the journey,but even when its over and you afe off meds you still need to manage your stress levels. i now do yoga and meditation.IT ALL HELPS,

HANG IN THERE.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.