Really struggling with citalopram doses

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I'm completely new to this site but I'm at my wits' end with citalopram and wondered if anyone could help please? Due to a family death and then a serious health scare myself (I'm fine) my anxiety and aging and death has massively kicked in and I've been told I'm having a mental breakdown. I was put on 50mg Sertraline for 5 days then taken off and 5 days later put on 20mg citalopram. After about 10 days I started to pick up but then had a traumatic session with my counsellor and dipped severely so was immediately put up to 30mg. That was 2 weeks ago and I was in such a state yesterday I had to go to the out of hours doctor. She has said I should be on 40mg and has also given me 40mg daily propranolol. I've been advised to stop the counselling as it's too traumatic at the moment. Does anone have any advice please? Can the dose of citalopram be too high? I just cry all the time and can't function. I have 3 young children and I need to beat this. Thank you so much in advance for reading this. Please help me. Xxx

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Loveydovey,

Firstly keep taking the dose prescribed this drug takes time to work and is not an immediate relief.

if talking doesnt help or makes things worse (i know it does for me) i find journalling helps me the most, i write down how i am feeling and what is bothering me, i have a book in my car and the app on my phone for on the go as i find i can struggle even when out and about sometimes.

Hang in there and communicate with your GP if things are not working or you are not feeling any better.

I am on 20mg now and still have bad days where i cry over nothing, and can be angry, confused and all the mixed up emotions too.

Take care

• Posted

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, dawn57104. Have you always been on 20mg or have you been up and down?

• Posted

You are on quite a high dose although we do not know what your mental Health illness is. To understand the thinking of your GP, regards the two medication may help although they will be concerned regarding  your outburst.

Talk to your Family GP and explain your concerns regarding three young children, you can then discuss the increase in medications

BOB

• Posted

Hi,

The dose seems high, but if your doc things that it is justified - please stick to it. Citalopram may take 4-6 weeks to show its effects and during this time you may experience some nasty side effects (increased anxiety, mood swings, feeling tired, etc.). The best thing to do is to just tell yourself that whatever happens, you will take these pills for at least six weeks.

If you find it difficult to cope, ask the doc for a script for 5 mg diazepam and take a tablet when you feel you need to calm down (no more than one tablet per day and certainly for no longer than 3 weeks of usage).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.