Really wish people understood!

Posted , 15 users are following.

I am getting absolutely sick and tired of the people around me (particularly my partner) to understanding my fibro. When I'm withdrawn because of the pain he lambasts me constantly because he thinks I'm being like this because of him. I have told him time and again that stress makes the pain worse and when he is getting on at me or shouting at me. To be honest all the stress of a relationship is making the fight all the more harder.

What is everyone elses family like with them and does anyone else just feel like running away and just trying to cope on there own.

3 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel. In fact my partner walked out on me just before Xmas shortly after my diagnosis. He said I had become a totally different person although I looked ' fine' on the outside. He said he couldn't cope with the fact I had become inactive and ' not much get up and go' anymore. He also said that he felt constrained by my lack of financial contribution due to the fact i can't work at the moment. It's good to have support around you and I really miss that but hey ho, such is life. This thing has certainly changed my life in more ways than one x
    • Posted

well hun you may not see it now the one thing this fibro has done for you it showed your partners true colours ,

your better of with out .

you dont need there stress and lack of understanding 

there be someone out there much better suited . i am sure .razz

• Posted

You are right there Tiswas. He was after free bed and board to be honest. I now know that and guess what he has found some other fool to move in with and sponge from. Wish I had known and seen him for what he really was all those years ago . Wouldnt have wasted so many years. Today I have awful stomach pain. Just wondered if any of the rest of you suffer with this ?
    • Posted

i have had stomach pains at the moment with constipation 

but i do get stomach pains at other times not linked to constipation

can have me rolling about in bed .for hours .

iv had some fellas like you hun your not alone ,loneleness isent easy for most we all crave comfort and human contact ,some times this makes us less aware of others faults . 

i suppose you could say you got fibro to thank for not wasting anymore time with such a selfish useless waste of space. hugsssssssssssss

• Posted

Hello Marc, I have learnt just not to say anything now, they see you the person who they love and are frustrated for you , nobody likes to see there loved ones in pain.But i get you, my husband has this nack of p*****g me off, he will say " whats up with you ?" if i am walking slow or just quiet. I think how many times do I have to keep repeating myselfeek. But hey I dont get down , you just need to sit down together , nice food and a cheeky drinkypoo and just calmly talk about how you feel and get his thoughts , stress certainly wont help you. Nothing is solved from running away.you find out who your friends are , slowly i feel like i am forgotten about , but then they have lives and there own stuff going on. My mum checks on me now and again also my older brother . I just live one day at a time , do what i can when i can , and rest when i need to. I used to feel a sense of guilt but now i think B******s to it. I am in pain today but can cope with it, so have gone for a little walk and made some meals because tommorow who knows. hugs and if it helps let it all out on here , you are not alone in this we all know how you feel.cheesygrin
  • Posted

I so sympathise Marc.  I'm very fed up too with how awful I look and feel and it so doesn't help when I see friends/family and they say 'oh dear, you look tired, are you having too many late nights?' etc etc.  My partner tries to be understanding and to be honest is very good about me being below par a lot of the time but still doesn't understand when I'm weary with the pain or when I cant even bear to be hugged because everything hurts so much.  I know I'm unreasonably grumpy and short tempered a lot of the time - being in constant discomfort just wears you down and its difficult not to let it make me so miserable to be with, I feel guilty about that and while he doesn't moan at me, I just dont like being such a negative person as a result.  I must be very hard to live with.    I do sometimes think it would be easier if I lived alone and nobody had to put up with me being a misery and complaining about the pain all the time but then I find so many things difficult to do anymore, I would be lost without someone here to help with certain tasks - that again makes me feel guilty - vicious circle eh.  You're right too about stress making the pain worse, if only others could spend a day in our shoes eh!  Fibro is an 'invisible' condition - if we were suffering from a more recognised disease or cancer etc., everyone is sympathetic and patient but to a non sufferer, they just cant understand fibro has so many symptoms and effects, not just the pain but the fatigue and the fuzzy thinking etc., it's so hard to get understanding and above all else patience.
  • Posted

My family are the same. Husband is great most of the time. On Sunday I tried to do some house work not very well mind you but I tried. About four ish I said I had had enough needed to be propped up in bed but I would fold some washing so I felt like I was still helping. With in five mins my husband was shouting at the children they were shouting at him and he then started at me cos I was sat up in bed! He knew why I was there but still went on. For the next hour I tried to ignore them all, even the dog had had enough and came and lead by me next to the bed!!! I then seemed to get ORDERED down stairs for tea, by now I was in full all out pain and needed some TLC, did I get it NO I did not. I was told if I didn't get downstairs then no tea! I needed to eat to take more painkillers so I didn't have a choice! It took me 10 mins to get down my stairs!! His excuse was he needed help with gravey and he didn't want me to get into the habit of eating in bed. I could of tipped the jug of gravey right over his head, just didn't have the strength!!! I eat in total silence couldn't eat much but enough to take painkillers. I then slowly went back upstairs and just shut the door. Couple if hours passed before any came to see if I was ok, hubby said sorry but he just didn't want me to give in to the pain. Hubby has never dealt with pain like this, twisted ankle headache now and again but that's it. I wanted to scream at him throw something but what was the point. It makes you feel very isolated as you all know. At least everyone on here understands, keep your chin up and do your best. 
    • Posted

its the same for me to . 

its so hurtful when people who knew me  before my illness my family  .and knew i was never lazy

,treat me like everyone eles does like i am swinging the lead .sad

if anyone else is not well they expect waiting on or being left alone i get neither .cry

i am some times not up for cooking tea ,but no one every offers to cook for me ..i feel so useless and people treating me like i am lying really hurts .cry id give anything if i could just get my health back .

and i could whiz round like a tornado instead of moving around like an over fed slug .

• Posted

I'm sure your not an over fed slug! Mind you that is a good description, I fit that one too, lol 
  • Posted

Poor you...really feeling for you...soo much stress makes everything worse...that is just terrible for you Marc...I am very very blessed, when reading do e of the comments past and present..I've had both Sojrens Sydndrome and Fibromyalgia for over 22 years now...the symptoms do lessen but there are flare ups...however the stress that your under us sooo wrong and hurting not helping at all..maybe your partner needs to read some info on the constant pain etc or even visit your doctor to see hiw real this is..my husband is an angel..dies everything for me-such a carer.  However my extended family really didn't know what it was all about, until they actually saw what I could and couldn't do...I live in another state to my family., but friends and my immediate family- daughters & husbands, they are really good.  It's an awful thing to say, but sometimes our family just don't want to accept that we are not the same as we were and they just can't fix it..a lot of the time it's about them and that they feel that they can't take away your pain etc....friends seem so different, this blog is just amazing at encouraging people..so stay connected, do hooe things pan out well for you..-smile xx
  • Posted

Stress free is the key to living with Fibro...you need to get rid of that stress for sure and start thinking of you...you are more than worth it....be strong..be blessed.:-) xx
    • Posted

You're so right Christine.  My GP specifically said my problems presently were brought on by stress and many years ago I was off work very ill for several months with severe nerve pain and at that time the doctor said it was stress related and called it something like neurasthenia (I might have got the spelling wrong, was a long time ago).  The problem with conditions like fibro and ME is that the symptoms aside from the pain are so varied and vague and unless you're suffering from it I guess its so difficult to understand how debilitating they are.  Someone previously made a good comment about getting friends/relatives of sufferers to read up on it to gain a better understanding of the whole range of issues, not just the pain - although that in itself needs great understanding.
    • Posted

I also have written about friends/family researching it or even going to the dr's with you so they can explain it..it's just soo hard for non sufferers to get a handle on it..it's almost like. We look ok, we must be..grr...it's nit their fault either..it's just they aren't knowledgeable..be blessed loxie..:-) xxx
  • Posted

i'm 19 years old, i havent been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but it has been suggested by him and a friend that has fibro. i have been in pain for four years now and on many days i am in tears as i hate taking tablets repeatedly. my family ignore me when i complain and discourage that anything is wrong with me. the support from my boyfriend is the only thing that keeps me sane!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.