Reason for headaches post cataract surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had cataract surgery last week and had a very bad bruise black eye and terrible pain above my eyebrow, my temples and down the back side of my head.  I went to my Neurologist today and found out why this happens.  It's called Trigeminal (Supraorbital) Neuralgia and it heals with time.  "Supraorbital neuralgia is a rare disorder accounting for 4% of incidence with hallmark of localized pain in or above the eyebrow, clinically characterized by the following triad: (1) forehead pain in the area supplied by the supraorbital nerve, (2) tenderness on either the supraorbital notch and (3) absolute, but transitory relief of symptoms upon supraorbital nerve blockade. The pain presents with a chronic or intermittent pattern. The persistence of protracted unilateral forehead/occular pain, tenderness over the nerve and repeated blockade effect strongly suggest the diagnosis. Surgical treatment can be used when the medical treatment fails or in patients who do not tolerate the pharmacological treatment."

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Sorry for your pain Powerlifter... was your surgery Laser or conventional?
  • Posted

Am very sorry to learn that you have been diagnosed with Supraorbital neuralgia after the cataract surgery.

Am glad that at least, your Neurologist has been able to diagnose the cause of your issues.

However, I do not believe that 4% of the cataract surgeries result in Supraorbital neuralgia. The main surgical cause of the Supraorbital neuralgia is listed as plastic reconstruction of the eyelid and eyebrow, with no mention of the cataract surgery in much of the material I am looking at.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.