Reassurance?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone

ibe been taking citalopram 20mg for years with great success.  Following some nasty life events I've had to increase to 25 mg (I break a 10 mg in half) and now on day 3-4 of the increase and spent several hours crying and nauseas.  I've never increased before but these symptom are similar to at the beginning.  How long do the splits de effects take when increasing dose please? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I would say a few weeks possibly less given you're currently on a serotonin reuptake and its more an adaption to quanity of dosage? hang in there try and be positive knowing once they normalise you will feel better again smile !!

• Posted

Just a thought? Since you are splitting the pill maybe try putting it in some food when you take it for the nasuea
  • Posted

Hi Lynne,

Nausea is cr*p!

I have found that we tend to pay too much attention to it - well, that's what I found myself doing and it wasn't healthy. So, after a while (and especially as I was increasing by 10mg stages to 40mg in roughly 4 months and had nausea each time, although it did lessen each time) I decided to try and ignore it. If I was going to be sick, then so be it. Breakfast was the worse time, but whenever I was going to eat, I decided I would have something I really, really, liked! I love cooking so, part of the therapy was being able to stand the smells before actually eating. I ate slowly  and once it settled in my stomach so did the nausea start to settle. I did find that with each increase some side effects where not as bad, some did not appear yet, the odd new one did!

As to crying. I have not cried like I used to since first taking 10mg back in Dec 2014, come that Christmas I watched, as usual, It's A Wonderful Life!, but did not cry (for the first time in watching it!). I did not know what that New Year would bring and I didn't really care. Due to life events with me too, I wanted this year, 2015, to arrive (for the first time ever) asap.

This is s blip brought about by the increase more than likely however, I find it good therapy to look at why certain side effects are happening to me (less now 13 months on) and if I don't get an answer, just go with it, don't fight it or think it is going to be like this forever because, it won't - it just feels like it right now!

At the moment I am going through medium highs, but also some deep lows having lost my dearest older brother beginning of Dec just gone. I have cried a little and I know I shall cry some more, it feels like a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. When it does, I will just let it happen, it isn't healthy not to cry.

Keep reading, keep posting no matter how unimportant it may be at times that is why we are all here, to share to help and be helped to.

So, all that remains for me to say is Welcome to the Club! and thanks for the help this has given me.

Best Regards,

David

• Posted

Ps replace 2015 with 2016 and where obvious too for to!

Now, there's a question does Cita cause a slacking in grammar and spelling? (Or it may be that I just got up!!!) Take care!

• Posted

Hi Lynne 

any dosage increase will replicate symptoms of side effects again and it may take weeks to level out. Just try to remember that this too will pass and you will definitely feel better once your body adjusts. This is only a setback phase so try to coast through it?x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.