Recent Amputee depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 22 year old male and was in a very bad motorcycle accident within the last year and had many injuries. These injuries included lower leg amputation, broke both femurs, broken pelvis, shattered ankle, broken tib/fib, broken tailbone.

I had been in the hospital for a month and had been walking with a prosthetic leg within 4 months after. My recovery has honestly been a miracle and realize I am blessed to be alive everyday. I've even been able to return to work for the most part.

However a lot of the time I get extremely depressed. I think about killing myself on occasion. I've had a very unfaithful girlfriend within the mix of this too which hasn't helped either. I've been drinking a lot more than normal.

At this point I'm wondering if anti-depressants are something I should look into? Will I eventually get over the bad end of this?

I have an awesome family and a good group of guys that support me through anything. It's just something I wanted to get an opinion on here first... Thanks!

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Mate your lucky to be alive. My advice is ask your gp for advice and ask to be put on a mental health plan if u are suffering depression. Beyond blue has a questionaire that helps u to work out if u may have depression. I have it and it controls my life at times and I feel so low and sad. Get help mate as u have support out there
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Berickson197

wow you have been through a rough time,but you have survived which is miraculous after your injuries

may i start by saying that drink willmake your depression feel worse as it is a depressant

getting help with depression would be a good start & please make an appointment with your GP to discuss your options... it great that you have a wonderfully supportive family .. your girlfriend from what you have said isnt much of a girlfriend,sorry for being so blunt

are you keeping her there because you feel you wont get anyone else?

if you are then you need to delete that from your mind straight away

it sounds like your mates are there for you too

Have you thought about counciling ... here me out ... i no theres a lot of stigma about depression ie your weak etc but thats rubbish even the strongest person will break down

the fact you can say how you feel on here is great

you are a strong person & i no i dont no you personaly but you have been through a horrific ordeal & come out the other side

there are plenty of things you can do if you reaserch it,ask your doctors

are you suffering pain due to your injuries if yes then there maybe an optomise programe near you

its usually based in a hospital ie heated pool for gentle soothing exercise plus physio & you meet people

i went to one 2 years ago as i have fibromyalgia & arthritis,it has realy helped me so i thought i would suggest it to you

im no doctor but you seem to have a good head on your shoulders

i would definately make an appointment & talk to your GP about anti depressants .... please for your sake cut down on the booze as it will make you feel 100 times worse... i no it dosnt when you are taking it but it does when it wears off also it changes the way you think & not always in a good way

take care

Dawn smile

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm very sorry you've gone through such pain. 

My advice, and I'm not a doctor, is that if you were not a depressed person before the accident, do not start taking anti-depressants. They are awful. 

Try counseling, groups for other accident victims, and get rid of that woman! She doesn't deserve you. 

Good luck to you. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello Berickson,  I am very sorry for your accident and the injuries and pain that your suffering with. I do know that when we have our lives changed it can be very difficult to adjust. I have health problems from a childhood accident and it altered the cause of my life, thou not to the extent you are suffering. Hey, i am still here and in my fifties now. Life changing injuries can cause depression, after all it is a loss. Your girlfriend is not ideal, not trust worthy which will add to this. You may think that nobody will love you but one day someone will see your personality, not your dissability. Your still young and you have a good family and friends network which is a bonus. Have you any hobbies, you could maybe join a group of like minded people. Show your girlfriend that you don't need her. You deserve better. As for AD i personally think they are not helpful in the long term. I have been on them many times over the years. I weaned myself off the last time and i regret ever taking them. Try counselling or CBT in my experience talking helps. Nobody can understand what you are going through as everybody experiences are unique but counselling can help you to understand why you feel the way you do.

Elizabeth   

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up