Recent Diverticulitis diagnosis.

Posted , 7 users are following.

After a colonoscopy in Feb. 2015, I was told I had this condition.

On leaving the hospital, no information was given to me. I came home and googled it.

The following day, a health practioner phoned me. When I asked about any treatment that was neccessary, I was told, " It will probably clear up on it`s own. "

I have no idea as to foods to eat or avoid....or of any further problems that this can cause.

Reading some of the posts, I feel I need more information to help me understand what I am dealing with. Surely the hospital should have given me this.

That`s actually an understatement, because if you read " Avoidable DVT Death Of My Husband." this is not the first time that due care and information have been seriously lacking.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Titanium, great to see that you have found our page - you've taken the 1st step.  Take your time, read through all the posts and feel free to ask questions - everyone has had experience of this one way or another from one extreme to another as well.  Like you I think that almost all of us have been given little or no information.  There's also lots of advice from everyone too - I think you'll find that a lot of people will recommend that you keep to a liquid diet to start with if you are having a flare up, then eat little and often of a low/no fibre diet for a couple of weeks and then slowly reintroduce food.  A lot of people on here have started taking probiotics too to help keep the good bacteria in your system.  I hope this helps a little.
    • Posted

Hi, thankyou so much for your response, and to Vivien and Jenny.

I will take all of your advice and keep on reading through the posts for tips.

Comes to something, when the patients are sorting each other out, this should be the job of our " health professionals ".

Please, if you don`t mind, take a few minutes to read about my husband.

You don`t need to respond to me, but who knows, one day, you may be able to save somebodys life if you have this information.

Thanks again . Lyn.

• Posted

Hi titanium

Interesting name by the way. Did you try the fodmap. You can google it. During a flare up stay on clear liquids for a couple of days.

It does not work for everybody. I take Bentyl for spasms. It is very difficult to manage this problem.

I am seeing a Surgeon o Tuesday and I might see a Naturopath. Hopes this helps.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi titanium

While having a flare up eat little but often keep to a high fibre diet i have been told not to eat any nuts or seeds or anything containing seeds if u eat fruit eat soft fruit but peel off the skins first tomatoes are a no no unless u skin and de seed them first i eat lots of chicken and fish with veg the veg i find easy to digest are broccoli cauliflower green beans and swede and carrot mashed not too interesting i know but give it a try

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed almost 2 months ago after having the symptoms for almost 4 years!  I finaly got fed up of being sick and tired all the time and being told it's nothing serious, we can't find anything. I went and got a new doctor and boy am I glad I did.  First thing he did was send me for a CT Scan to see about the ab pain and disomfort.  Results...Diverticulitis and Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  He gave me a couple pamphlets to read but they never gave me much information so I googled and googled somemore. There is A LOT of information out there and sometimes it can be very contradictory.  I ended up coming to this forum because I figured hey, these guys are the ones living with it day in and day out.  I have gotten the best information and guidance on here from a bunch of people I hardly know and It's been very comforting to know that I have so many to talk to on my good days and my bad that know what I'm going through.  This condition is very debilitating physically, emotionally and socially.  Those without it don't realize what we go through when we're having a flare up.  How it hinders everyday life, can make a person anti social. Is mentally and physically exhausting.  I am so glad I found these "FORUM friends" I've learned that everything is trial and error..what works for one doesn't always work for another.  Some consistant things seem to be Probiotics, aloe vera juice and making sure your veggies are very well cooked so that it's easily digestable.  Also loosing the carbs/starches.  which can be hard.  I'm a self described carbwh**e.  Love my bread, pasta and rice.

Willpower is a big thing.  I learned this over the weekend.  My main trigger is red meat but we went to a BBQ and my tastebuds got the best of me and I had one bite of my husbands steak.  I paid for it Sunday.  3 hours in bed with pain meds and a hotwater bottle.

Also the advice on what to eat during and post flare up.  Liquid diet during the first bit then slowly introducing low fibre then introducing high.  

I hope that what you take from here will help you in your journey to combating this stupid disease.  It's not a war anyone wants to fight but I'm glad I'm fighting it with this group.

Sunni

• Posted

It's all about supporting each other - you are right, what works for one doesn't work for another but there are consistencies.  I never saw my consultant or a dietician and again, has been all research on my part.  Finding this forum too has been a great help likewise.  Glad you are doing better.
    • Posted

Hello. thankyou for all the advice.

I don`t eat red meat but like you, love all the starchy stuff.

I will be more aware in future.

Am I alone with the embarrassing noises that my insides make? I sometimes dread being in quiet places with people......as this happens at random. OMG can`t believe I`m asking this, but if I don`t, then I will never know.

It`s really bad that you suffered for all those years, before they finally made your diagnosis, and equally as bad, that they don`t see fit to give us any instruction or guidance. I guess we will just all have to help each other.

• Posted

lol..definitely NOT alone.  my kids like to tell me "the beast is trying to escape again" all the time.eek

Sometimes it's just air going through the intestines.sometimes it's an indication that you could be heading for a flare up.  when do you notice it most?  after eating starchier foods?  I find first thing in the morning after eating breakfeast, after eating a sandwich if it's on white bread or drinking my soy milk.  I've completely eliminated red meat myself as this is my worst main trigger.  I also only eat chicken and fish in small amounts.

I keep a food diary so I can look back and see what it was that could be causing any issues that come up.  It's nothing fancy just a small spiral bound note book. I track the times I eat, how much, what foods and any side effects for the rest of the day. It's really helped in identifying even mild triggers.

So don't worry you are alone..because we've all got similar issues and know what the realities are there's nothing to be embarassed about because pretty much nothing is off topic ..lol

All the best

Sunni

• Posted

Do you have bloating along with the gas?  I've started drinking peppermint tea and this has helped a lot.  I'm also eating probiotic yougurt and drinking Kefir probiotic milk.  lol..as I'm sitting here it sounds like a sick horn playing in my stomach!

• Posted

Hello, Phew! So it`s not just me then. There`s a bucket full of probiotics and peppermint tea going on my shopping list.

What an anti social pain in the neck this condiion is.

I have the bloating along with the gas, seems to be with almost anything I eat, but will try harder to pinpoint the trigger foods.

Thankyou to all who have replied to me, it helps to know that others understand, and when " the beast tries to escape ", lol I will now know I`m not alone.

Lyn..

• Posted

I totally agree...lol

I'm doing everything in my power to avoid surgery and a colstomy.  My cousin has Crohns and has had a bag for the past 5 years after repeated surgeries and I do not want to end up like that. 

Sunni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.