Recent gallbladder surgery reassurance

Posted , 6 users are following.

hiya

i had my gallbladder removed by keyhole yesterday after significant problems for over a year. Despite being warned I was likely to need open surgery due to recent repeated bouts of pancreatitis the surgery was textbook. Went down at 8.45 in recovery by 10.30 and left hospital at 1pm. Even felt well enough to pop out for lunch (pie and mash on my return home. 

Was sore yesterday afternoon and evening but nothing too major and found I stiffened up quite badly as the day wore on to the point I couldn't bend or move my entire torso ( again not overly painful but awkward). There is some very black bruising around my belly button and one of the wounds has bled a little and I've had some twinges in shoulders ( more so in the shoulder I've had two ops on a couple of years ago not sure if that is significant). Managed to lie on both sides with little discomfort in bed reading and slept on front.

pain and stiffness is about the same this morning. My question is having read tons of info out there this seems to be miraculous and I'm worried that I'm suddenly going to be in for a shock. Has anyone else felt so well and did it last. I know I have a high pain threshold and have always been the type to just get on with things as normal if I can but don't want to do this if I risk suddenly worsening. 

Any advice or people's own stories would be really welcome :-) 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I think you have slighlty over done it hun ......remeber you have just had surgery and they have removed an organ from your body......great to hear that you felt good so soon after surgery but i think you over did it and pushed your body too much. Get some rest and let your body recover. The pains in your back is normal, from gas pains ect. You will feel like you have went through a few rounds with tyson.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply - I agree popping out for a pub lunch 4 hrs after surgery might not have been a great idea but I anticipated feeling much worse later so thought I'd get a nice meal in while I felt alive.

As I say I'm sore and stiff as a board but was expecting way more pain and discomfort considering its major abdominal surgery.

Maybe I'm just really lucky - will just chill on sofa watching to today and see if I'm still feeling as bright later :-)

• Posted

Oh yes....you are so lucky feeling that well after surgery!!! Glad to hear that!!  But like your style with the pub lunch! lol.....just try take it easy for a bit lol xx
  • Posted

You most lkely have pain from the gas they used to blow up your abdomen. I had insane pain in my shoulder for a week as there is a nerve. Eat light.
    • Posted

Like I said had minor pain in shoulder yesterday which as you say is from gases but pain is almost non existent in shoulder and abdomen today and stiffness is greatly reduced. Pretty much feel fine - just had a full cooked breakfast.

Just wondering if I'm too ok and am suddenly get hit by a truck or if I've been remarkably abnormal and made a miraculous recovery

• Posted

Sounds like you are doing great! You should relax and take it easy at least a week.
    • Posted

I feel unsurprisingly well which is worrying me in case I suddenly go downhill. Decided to do a spot of shopping today and late lunch with a friend and can then chill tonight - thanks for your advice.
  • Posted

Glad to hear you're doing so well so soon after your op

Made me feel better about it as I'm on the waiting list. How long were you on the waiting list? as I can't seem to get a clear answer from the surgeon's secretary. Keep the good work up.

• Posted

I saw the surgeon for first appt in April and he wanted to do it within 4 weeks but as I'm a teacher and had year 11's doing GCSEs I asked if it could wait till Jun once they'd had exams and he did it on his first surgery date he had after their last exam. Can't fault nhs at all - hope you get yours soon. How long have you been waiting?

• Posted

Thanks for replying so soon. I had all the tests which confirmed gallstones last November (mri ultrasound etc) and saw surgeon in May. He told me I would be having the op in June. I phoned his secretary to confirm this and she said no way. She had 38 patients to fit in that had been waiting some time on her desk that day. I got the feeling it may be quite some time before I hear anything. I don't know what part of the country you're in but I'm in Worcestershire. So pleased you're recovering well. Good to hear some good news.

• Posted

I'm in Portsmouth - I think surgeon put me down as urgent as I had repeated bouts of pancreatitis and got pneumonia from a chest infection due to body battling gallbladder and having nothing left.

I keep waiting for a sudden decline in recovery as I've not seen any positive recovery stories really but maybe those that get well quickly don't feel the need to be on a forum which is a shame as people waiting for surgery may be a little reassured it's not all doom and gloom awaiting them. I really hope you get good news soon and your op goes as well as mine seems to have so far

• Posted

I'm not surprised that you didn't have to wait too long as you were really suffering especially with it affecting your pancreas as that can be quite dangerous. I know quite a few people who have had the op and they all say it's the best thing they have done so I wouldn't worry about things going wrong. You sound really well but try to have some rest. All the best for the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.