Recent Nissen Fundoplication

Posted , 6 users are following.

After looking at options in USA, after suffering from years of GERD, went to Madrid and got a Nissen Fundoplication done at a top private hospital for 5,000 euros, by a doctor who has done hundreds of the laparoscopic procedures.  A fraction of the price, a more humane and a less mercantile attitude than what passes for "health care" in the USA.  Immediate results, no further acid reflux (checked by ph meter), all my symptoms have disappeared in a month, no issues in recovery other than having to eat more slowly and smaller portions; got rid of my inclined bed; no more PPIs with all of their secondary effects; and I am able to eat a more or less normal diet (but I have decided to keep a GERD sensitive diet in any case). The best medical decision I have ever made by far. If cost is keeping you from doing this, go to Spain!   

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi thanks for your information I have been thinking of doing the same thing but I heard that Germany was the place to go. I am in Canada. all they want to do here is keep us on pills. I am coughing all the time and ended up in critical care with pneumonia last January because of All the  mucus  And coughing.
    • Posted

Read the recent news on PPIs' long term health effects. Not good at all.  I am not saying the surgery is foolproof, but when it works it really works.  Good luck with your medica doctors, who are downplaying the impacts of PPIs. 

William

• Posted

Hi Giscome 

I had the op here in the UK just four weeks ago.

I’ve been disappointed that my GERD symptoms haven’t gone away. If anything, I have more acid than before.

Does it take a wee while to settle in?

Deb

• Posted

wow that sounds a nightmare Debcam...lets hope it settles down quickstyle, how you feeling painwise and getting about in general? cheers Allan
    • Posted

I had the op in the UK 15 years ago. It totally cured my daytime reflux but not nighttime. If you have nocturnal reflux the chances are it won't if your LOS relaxes completely when you are in a deep sleeps as does mine. Even a tightened sphincter will leak if it is completely relaxed. 

• Posted

Yes, there are many patients who report a rebound effect after you stop the PPIs, even with surgery.  You might want to go with H2 blockers for a few weeks after surgery and stay on a GERD diet. But the results should kick in soon.   To really check it, you should ask for a Ph text (24 hrs) to measure acid levels after the surgery. Mine were normal the week after. 
    • Posted

You mentioned early on that your symptoms disappeared within a month; sorry to be perdantic, but just for clarification, did you still have symptoms up to a month after?

We’re you still taking PPIs? I know that some advice suggests you should continue them for a month after...

Deb

• Posted

Hi Deb, I went onto H2 blockers after the surgery, a low dosage, because of the rebound problem.  For clarification, my symptoms disappeared the day after the surgery and a month later they are still absent.  

William

• Posted

Yes, some people do experience the "rebound" after a long tiem taking PPIs (I didn't apparently). Hang in there!  

William

• Posted

Thanks, William, I guess I have to!

But, like you, having read the recent news about PPIs, I know I made the right choice.

Deb

• Posted

that sounds great...one month ago? hows the healing going with regards moving about walking and bending and stuff? im very interested to know if physically you can say for example play golf or go hillwalking..how long after this procedure....dont mean to be cheeky what age are you..im 58 very active but suffer from Gerd and maybe further down the line might need this done also. cheers and all the very best of luck ,Allan the cabby
    • Posted

Pain wise, no problem. I’m 52 and very active. I was back to walking about 15 miles a week with a week of the op, and back in the pool and swimming 2km 10 days later. I’m even cycling and playing badminton.

It’s just the acid that’s a problem. Yesterday afternoon I was really uncomfortable and had a pain between my shoulder blades - this is something new...

Deb

• Posted

Ahem, that's 2km per week...

And in proper answer to your question, my tummy was, understandibly, tender for about 10 days after the op and I felt a bit fragile. Much of which I put down to the trauma your body endures with the anesthetic. Plus, you're weakended by the liquid diet. 

I didn't need any painkillers whatsoever, though.

Deb

• Posted

Not cheeky at all. I am 61 and in good health. Three days after surgery I have been walking 5km per day and more, walked all over Madrid.  Some initial soreness and constipation, but now, a month later I have absolutely no symptoms, and I am back to my daily exercise (swimming in the pool in the morning and walking in the evening), but no abdominal exercises or weights for another two months.  I find that I am satiated more quickly and I eat smaller portions, which also keeps my weight down!  .  
    • Posted

But if you look at recent news about long term effects of PPIs, links to cancer, bone weakening, etc., etc., I still think that this is the way to go. Stay strong!  It gets better after the surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.