Recent Nissen Fundoplication

Posted , 6 users are following.

After looking at options in USA, after suffering from years of GERD, went to Madrid and got a Nissen Fundoplication done at a top private hospital for 5,000 euros, by a doctor who has done hundreds of the laparoscopic procedures.  A fraction of the price, a more humane and a less mercantile attitude than what passes for "health care" in the USA.  Immediate results, no further acid reflux (checked by ph meter), all my symptoms have disappeared in a month, no issues in recovery other than having to eat more slowly and smaller portions; got rid of my inclined bed; no more PPIs with all of their secondary effects; and I am able to eat a more or less normal diet (but I have decided to keep a GERD sensitive diet in any case). The best medical decision I have ever made by far. If cost is keeping you from doing this, go to Spain!   

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That's great to hear. I love to hear that we can beat this. I am suffering now with a constant cough after eating, and being unable to talk. I've had Gerd for years, seems to be getting worse. I think I'll look into this surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.