Recently diagnosed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all.  Whilst I have always been susceptible to reflux, in the past it has always cleared up within 24-48 hours.  However since February I have had it continuously and it does not seem to want to abate.  I've seen a gastroenterologist and after an endoscopy I've been diagnosed with oesophagitis and a sliding hiatus hernia - nothing major.  I'm currently sorting out diet/lifestyle (alcohol was easier to give up than coffee!) - and have been prescribed omeprazole.  My symptoms have not yet improved - basically I have a permanent pain behind my breastbone and constantly feel hungry and bloated at the same time!  My question is - does it take a while for the omeprazole to kick in?  I've been taking it for c12 days now (started on 40mg but doc said I should reduce to 20 which I have).  Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Try giving up the coffee and go back to beer! If you drink milky coffee it will create more and thicker mucus, while the beer will flush the mucus from the throat. Anything with cows milk, such as chocolate, will cause the body to make a lot of mucus, causing the food to stick in the oesophagus. Try thistle root tea to reduce the amount of mucus made. It's almost tasteless and fast working.

• Posted

Thank you Chris.  In fact I've already stopped drinking coffee, tea, alcohol, fizzy drinks etc and taking the advice on what foods to eat.  I don't have mucus at all.  Just a permanent pain behind my breastbone and feelings of hunger/bloating.

I was just curious to see how long it takes omprepazole to work - if it is going to.

• Posted

Yes the PPI will take quite a while to kick in. I would go back to 40mg and only reduce it once the symptoms have gone. Remember you have two problems to fix, one the reflux and two the damage caused by the reflux. The PPI will start to reduce your reflux but it takes a while to repair the damage. 

the usual testing time is 8 weeks.  I would go back to 40mg and see if that works. If it doesnt then its back to the dr. If it does work and the symptoms go then you can look at trying 20 and see if you are symptom free on that dose. 

When I started out it was about 4 weeks before I was starting to be symptom free. We have tried many times to reduce my dose from 30 to 15 (I am on Lanzoprazole) and it only works for a few days and then symptoms return so I am a 30 person.  BTW your PPI might not work for you at all and you may need a differnt one. 

• Posted

Great. thanks for that.  I'll be patient and just behave myself with the eating and drinking.
  • Posted

Go back to your Dr they put me on omeprazole but didn't work for me.

felt really booted and windy stomach cramps and pain stomach would make assorted noises.

Was referred to GI surgical team they changed back to Lanzoprazole in morning and Ranitindine 300mg before bed helps .

I'm on waiting list for surgery go back to see surgeon 28th AprI'll.

Have a word with your Dr as I said didn't agree with me .

made me put on weight and feel very booted and uncomfortabl and gurgling stomach could sleep and wake nasty taste in mouth.

Hope this helps you

i had endoscopy done and test done were put cencer up nose down down throat

before I have surgery .

I have hiatus hernia acid Reflux Gerd (Gord) osteoporosis .

Under surgeon Mr Neville Menezes will be seeing him 28th April on his waiting list for surgery.

But he gave me lots information to read look up before deciding on surgery .

My dad died stomach cancer 25 years ago so didn't want to go down same road as my dad so opt for surgery.

Hopefully you can sort yours with medication.

Good luck getting it sorted out...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.