Recently Diagnosed Hyperthyroid

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hello, I'm hoping for some advice. I've been driving my doctor and consultant (even before my 1st appt) to distraction by being extremely reluctant to take anti thyroid meds - betablockers fine, I'm already hypertensive so on water tablets too. my results are T4 100+ which seems to be worrying my consultant who is sending etters and asking my surgery to increase the dose from 15mg to 40mg carbimazole! That feels like a massive hike.

I just don't want to be thrown in to hypo becuase it's easier for the doctors. I'm awaiting my 2nd blood test in a couple of weeks and if my hormones are falling I really want to be able to state my case for aiming for Euthyroid nice and slow, not hypo immediately. I mean really, is a thyroid storm that common or imminent...?

Has anyone had a good experience/relaionship with their medical team? Are they panicking for no reason or am I not taking this seriously enough?

 

0 likes, 6 replies

Report

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Untreated hyperthyroidism can be a life-threatening illness if you get a thyroid storm and with levels like you have, you are very likely to have a thyroid storm.  There is a lot you can do to help your recovery.  Many of us have found that changing our diet, avoiding aspartame, gluten and sugar helps a lot, taking supplements like vitamin D3, anti-inflammatories like Omega 3, curcumin, magnesium, L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine (though this latter requires a lot of monitoring and adjustment to avoid going hypo) with a low dose of meds that you are on will help your results to recover.  I have hypertension, am on diuretics and antihypertensive drugs, only needed the beta blockers until I was put on my antithyroid meds and my FT3 and FT4 normalized immediately, however, I had to take the supplements to get my TSH to rise.
    Report
  • Posted

    It isn't terribly hard to monitor your condition in respect to the imminence of thyroid storm.  If you can take your pulse and if it is 80 beats per minute while resting it will be borderline high; much higher than that puts you in danger of the thyroid storm.

    Generally, if you need the carbimazole, it is better taking it than beta blockers.  Also you can always take less of a drug than prescribed but you can never take more.  Also treatment for hyperthyroid is something that the doctors are very insistant about having you be compliant with.

    Report
  • Posted

    I just about avoided a thyroid storm  two years ago and my T4 was nowhere near your 100+. Your doctors are right to be panicking. Take the carbimazole and have blood tests every month - six weeks and the carbimazole can gradually be reduced as your thyroid recovers. . It can be a life threatening disease if you ignore the doctors advice.Then start thinking about diet maybe.

    Your T4 and T3 should normalise reasonably quickly with the TSH taking more time. Beta blockers are not a good substitute for carbimazole

    Report
    • Posted

      Thanks for your reply, if you don't mind me asking how did you know you were storming? My pulse has been 105 and BP was all over the place before my diagnosis...but I felt fine (apart from the usual stuff: tremors, dodgy tummy, thuimping chest and being way too hot) These things have all subsided now I'm on the meds - I've all but stopped eating to prevent the weight gain.
      Report
  • Posted

    The symptoms of are a thyroid storm are like those of hyperthyroidism, but more severe and extreme and suddenly worsen. For example there can be sweating and confusion, restlessness, shaking, agitation, anxiety, diarrhea, and high heart rate 140+, Heart palpitations etc. In fact your metabolism just goes beserk.

    Due to a mix up, my medication was delayed by a couple of weeks and my GP was much relieved to get me on to the Carbimazole. So was I as I soon felt an improvement. With regular blood tests and changing the amount of carbimazole to suit the results, I have been stable for about 14 months.

    Report
  • Posted

    Thank you all for your replies...I'm seeing the consultant in 2 weeks so hopefully my bloods will show improvement - but I'm not going to increase my dose without good reason - especially as my symptoms have really improved.
    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up