Recently diagnosed with graves & labs not improving after 6 weeks of MMI

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi friend,

Just found this forum online. I was diagnosed with Graves at the end of February with FT4 2.0 NG/DL and normal FT3. My TSH was < 0.01 uIU/ML. My endo put me on 10 mg methimazole daily, and retest for blood work in three weeks, nothing has changed. My endo increased MMI dosage to 20 mg daily, and I got retested last week. My FT4 dropped to 1.8 NG/DL, still normal FT3, but no improvement on TSH. I'm slowly gaining some weight, but I still feel very tired every day, and nausea in the morning (Doctor said GI disruption is a common side effect of MMI...)

I've been reading online and found out that L-carnitine might be helpful in increasing TSH and regulating TSI. I decide to take Vitamine C 500 mg per day, Vitamin D3 1000 IU per day, and try Acetyl L-Carnitine 500 mg per day. My endo is not very responsible.. sometimes I need to track her down on Instagram...

Any advice?

Thank you!

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I don't think your metabolism increased.  If your Free T3 and Free T4 were within range, then he should not have increased your Methimazole to 20 mg.  Raising the antithyroid med does not increase TSH which is what you are after.  I sometimes had palpitations when I was using Acetyl-L-Carnitine but was able to control them with Propranolol and I didn't have them all the time.  Have you had labs done since he increased the dose?  You can get palpitations if you are hyper or hypo.  If you use supplements like Acetyl-L-Carnitine, you need to have labs done no less than every 3 to 4 weeks.  I think your problem is the meds dosage and some of the effects you are feeling could be due to that.  You can stop the Acetyl and see if your symptoms disappear.  If they are still there, then you know your symptoms are not from Acetyl.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.