Recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello.  I’ve been in denial for some months now, having been told that all my tests point to rheumatoid arthritis.  I am seventy  but have always been very fit and active (dancing and Zumba several times a week) and this has come as a shock to me.  I have been trying to  control it with paracetamol and ibuprofen but I think the time has come for me to accept it and to start the Methotrexate drug my consultant wants me to take.  I am naturally worried about the side effects I have read about and would welcome anyine’s experiences  with taking this drug. 

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Linda. Try it, to get you started on the road to feeling better . Some people thrive on it. I did for a good 12 months. For all sorts of reasons I had to change, but after taking it for about 4 weeks things started to settle.

At least if it doesn't suit, you can try something else. You'll be dancing again before you know it ....

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  It has given me confidence and cheered me up. Linda
  • Posted

Hello Linda

I'm 60 and have had RA for 17 yrs. Methotrexate does'nt work for everyone as i'm sure you'l find out when you get response's to your post.

For me, well ive been on it for easily 13 yrs alongside humira injections and its only ever helped me. As time has gone on i do think my body has become used to it and it has become slightly less effective in regards of its pain killing properties which is something i will be bringing to my consultants attention in a couple of weeks time. I am currently looking into more hollistic painkillers as well as methotrexate and humira as i'm fed up of taking codeine a d paracetemol. Take care and stay well.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response.  It has given me confidence and made me feel more positive. Linda
  • Posted

Hi Linda, I started Methotrexate about a year ago for my RA. I too was in denial and shocked at having to take a drug like this. However, I can honestly say it's given me my life back! It does take a fee weeks before you notice a difference and there were a few not so nice side -effects to deal with at first (nausea, mouth ulcers ), but these have gone now and the benefits definately outweigh the negatives. Give it a try.........you have nothing to lose! Good luck, Karen 😊

• Posted

Hi Linda, I was 67 when diagnosed with R A and still find it hard to accept. I also tried Methotrexate, unfortunately it didn’t agree with me, but was able to try other meds until I found one that suited and worked for me. You will hear positive information about Methotrexate on this forum and everyone reacts differently to each drug. Good luck with trying it,  
    • Posted

Thank you for that.  It’s given me confidence to try it. Linda
  • Posted

Hi, 

My son has Rhematoid Arthritis, he is only 23, sero-negative RA. It is a tough one.

There are plenty of good medicines out there but they always seem to start with methotrexate. Keep an eye out for how you feel, any side effects etc., and keep a careful note of them so you can report them back to your GP and consultant. 

Methotrexate didn't work for my son. He has since been on many different options (since he was 19) he has a particularly aggressive form of RA so we are told. 

He is currently on Toxilicumab infusions once a month at hospital and they got him out of a wheel chair and on his feet. 

Take what they offer you. Keep a note of how you feel. But don't be afraid to tell them it doesn't work for you if that's how it turns out. They will give you something different then. Just don't suffer without need,  we have our wonderful NHS to support us all. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I am so sorry for your son as he is so young.  It makes me feel I’m making too a big deal of it as I am getting on a bit and things go wrong often as you get older. However, I do appreciate the sound advice and do intend to give it a try.  I do hope all goes well for your son. Linda
  • Posted

Hi Linda

I was diagnosed at age 68 so close to your age.  I am 70 now.  It was a shock for sure.  I did try methotrexate and I couldn't tolerate it and then placed on 1 bioloigic and had side effects and now on my 2nd biologic drug called Cimzia.  Keep a daily record of symptoms and go ahead give the medication a try b/c that is the drug they always seem to start with and go from there.  The disease will just progress if you don't try something.  Diet can affect RA but it is a chore to find out what is to be avoided in your diet.

I also was quite active--aerobics 3x week, long walks, strength training etc and of normal weight.  But I am doing fairly well on the medication, switched to yoga and shorter walks etc.  We are fortunate to have been diagnosed at a later age is what I tell myself when I am down.   Read up on the RA diagnosis and follow this forum

I wish you the very best xo

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, Gloria.  I think it’s the shock of having the disease which affects me the most.  No family history, as far as I know, and I just wonder where it came from.  I am going to start the drug and hope for the best.  I am certainly going to have to pace myself with the dancing and the Zumba! All the best and thanks again. Linda 
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with RA exactly 2 yrs now. It came as a shock to me too . I didn't even know what RA was . I couldn't accept it and cried myself every night to sleep. That's how I found this forum and it helped me a lot. People here are so kind and helpful . I started with MTX and prednisolone . Now I'm only on MTX 12.5mg. Any lower dosage the pain will come bk. but I'm doing fine and able to live like normal . I hope you will find the right med too. Stay strong.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I really appreciate your comments and I’m feeling more positive now. Linda
  • Posted

Hi Linda. I am 65 and have just been diagnosed with RA. I also am very fit and exercise every day of the week until the pain became too much for me to continue. I have been put on methotrexate. I am hoping this works for me and I can go back to being fairly active again. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply,  Donna.  I’d be interested to know how you get on with Methotrexate as i’m due to start it shortly and am worried about side effects. Linda 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.