Recommended pain meds?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am going back to my surgeon on Wednesday and getting prepared for the meeting. As I fear I will be quite tearful when asked "and how are you" (I arrived at the office this morning in tears) I want to have a list at the ready with all the points to be discussed so we keep it very factual.

The elephant in the room is having to have my knee bent under anesthetic as the bend is still only at 80 after 6 weeks. So with this we will also have to discuss pain medication.

I cannot take any opiates (pethidine, tramadol or whatever they are called in the UK) and the pain meds I am on are a bit hit and miss or have stopped working really. But after the manual bend, I am pretty sure I will be in lots of pain again so my question to you all out there: which (strong) pain meds have you received which you can recommend so I can discuss with my surgeon if we have an equivalent over here??

Your feedback would be SUUUUUPER appreciated. Thanks so much!

0 likes, 27 replies

Report / Delete

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Britta217,

By inference I assume you're not in the UK?  We here in the UK cannot readily buy over the counter 'strong' pain killers, they have to be prescribed by a doctor.  So recommendations for this type of drug would be limited to what we can get here in the UK.  I found co-codamol was pretty much the most effective over the counter pain killer that 'worked' for me.  That and of course an ice pack.  I bought 2 of those 'gel' type ones.  I didn't freeze them, but kept then in the fridge and found they helped a lot, especially after some sort of exercise (along with elevation).  Personally, I found as far as making it work is concerned, not to bend it beyone your pain threshhold, and only do as much as you personally can manage.  I'm getting on for 6 months down the line now, and it still plays me up, but I just convince myself, it will be ok eventually.  I don't use the co-codamol any more, but just use paracetamol as and when it plays up.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi pete ... i am based out of switzerland and they are super conservative with across the counter meds here too. in an ideal world i would like to go to my surgeon with a list of meds he could prescribe to me. co-codamol (probably with codeine which is hardly ever prescribed here) has come up more than once so i definitely need to discuss this option with him.

ah yes, my trusty friend the ice pack! totally agree. as for the pain threshhold, my surgeon and many on here keep telling me i need to work beyond my pain threshhold. i just don't know how that works! especially without medication. it is getting better, so less of a tight band around the knee and i do keep pushing myself but there are days - like today - when i feel i am taking steps BACKWARDS, not forwards.

roll on 6 months when a paracetamol will do the trick :-) perhaps in another 6 months you will be completely over it? fingers crossed!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Britta, good luck with the consultation - an ordeal for you to contemplate manipulation under anaesthetic. I can't speak from experience but I'm sure I've read somewhere on this site of someone who had it done and it wasn't as bad as they expected. Hopefully, if it improves your bend then you'll get less pain. You must be tough as you coped with returning to work so soon. As for painkillers, I took Zapain (30mg codeine/500mg paracetamol) for the first month or so. I spaced them out regularly over 24 hours taking them 4 times a day. They certainly helped me cope with the pain but I felt drowsy and they can make you constipated, though I coped with this by eating lots of fruit, nuts and seeds and drinking prune juice! As I've a stomach problem I can't take ibuprofen or anything like it. Others have said that taking anti inflammotaries as well helped. Hope your surgeon is helpful. Good luck. 

Jen x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hi jen ... i was reading up on co-codeine medication this morning and it scared the living daylights out of me. apparently it is very, very addictive? you had no problems? stopping them, that is? some have been on huge amounts (30-50 per day!!) for 10 years. that is a very scary thought.

yes, i also have digestive problems and one of the anti-inflammatories is really doing me in. another reason i need to discuss it with my surgeon.

oh dear, if it isn't the one thing, it is the other. never mind, we will get there and for my next party trick, i am definitely looking into the stem cell therapy rather than going through this again.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I never had a single even romote problem with the codeine based pain killers....They just worked very well....and not even the slightest twitch coming off them either....you can't buy them in enough quantity (I wouldn't have thought) to get addicted.  I was taking a couple every four hours or so...
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was aware of this which was why I didn't want to take them for too long. I stopped after about 4 weeks, cutting down to the lower dose (8/500) in the day then the 30/500 at night before stopping the high dose altogether. I had no withdrawal symptoms! I still take paracetamol during the day and co codamol 8/500 at night. I think they're ok if you don't take them long term and you're sensible. 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry Britta, I just can't take any of those mentioned. They make me so ill. There was one in hospital that I seemed to be ok with, I can't remember the name but it may have been oxy something,probably nothing like that. They wouldn't let me take it at home though so it's probably an opiate. Best of luck, I really feel for you. xx
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

could it be oxycontin? i have read about it before and just found it online again. it also belongs to the opiates family but perhaps a different strain which made it more agreeable to you. yes, the others are dreadful, aren't they. they made me sooo very ill which was not helped by an unsympathetic nurse telling me not to "force" myself to heave. seriously? could have throttled her if i wasn't so busy holding on the to the little metal bowl and the side of the bed. i think i would be concerned taking this outside of hospital environment ...
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's what happened to me with the tramadol. No sympathy from the nurse as she was going off duty and just wanted to go. I think the problem is that we were so sensitive and tearful after the op that everything seemed so much worse. I've been so lucky that my husband has done everything for me since I came out and just let me get on with getting fit. Wish everyone else was so lucky. xxxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oxycontin is a time release form of hydrocodone, I believe. I'm in the US and everything above aspirin and ibuprofen are prescription drugs. I finally settled  on 30 mg morphine sulfate e.r (time release) 2 x's daily and can back it up w/hydrocodone 10/325 as a breakthrough drug if needed. The MS takes awhile to hit the system 2-3 hrs while the hydrocodone kicks in around 45 min to hour but dissipates in 4 hrs or so. As I have had my problem and pain for so many years I have been on this stuff for a long time. My system has adjusted so some of the side effects of constipation and drowsiness are minor. I watch it carefully as I had to have an emergency colon resection 4 years ago and sure don't want to face that again. The colon didn't seal and I damn near bled to death, then a few days later had a blockage and another 4 hr surgery and my lungs quit and spent 2 days in ICU. So, I watch carefully the side effects. I don't have an addictive personality so don't feel the need to take more than the prescribed amt and feel I could taper off and quit if I ever got out of pain. I have had so much damage done to the leg through the PVNS and all of the damage caused by surgery and radiation I don't know if that day will ever come. Hope the docs listen to you carefully and really understand what you are experiencing.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm still waiting for TKR since my accident last January. I take MST morphine sulphate. Slow release capsules. 20mg twice a day. 

I also take Gabapentin. Paracetamol. Tramadol. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am sure there must be something else they can give you... i am not good with most meds... I take Co.codamol.

..  30/500 dosage   when I'm bad... or you can take ibuprofen plus paracetamol at the same time... You won't be the only patient in your position... try and stay calm and positive... It may not be as bad as you think.... bless you.... take care.x

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up